FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
donciukas wrote:And a few more questions that have been 'questioned' lots of times :) (I just need a simple, short answer.)
OK, I'll keep my answers very short :)
donciukas wrote:1. Can You tell me when should I be giving the seedlings more light? I think : When I sow them, keep them in a shaded place. When they grow first leaves, give them more and more sunlight?
Yes.
donciukas wrote:2. How do You water the seeds, spraying on them or filling water in the tray?
Tray.
By kevinqwe
If you cross pollinate, could u use like for example a rose or like any flower i see in the park?
By Matt
kevinqwe wrote:If you cross pollinate, could u use like for example a rose or like any flower i see in the park?
No, I don't think so. I'm not a geneticist, but I don't think that plants or animals are often fertile outside of their genus. For example, you can cross-pollinate (aka hybridize) many (all?) species of Nepenthes, all species of Sarracenia and many (all?) species of Heliamphora. But you can't cross-pollinate a Dionaea with a Drosera or any other genus. One exception I know of is orchids. Some genera of orchids are able to be crossed, but I think this is pretty rare.
By kevinqwe
oh thanks you, becuase in the article under Sexual Propagation it says that you can use a completely different plant and also that you can do it with a plant that is genetically identical.

i think the last one or two sentences of the 2nd paragraph seem a little bit vague.
By Matt
kevinqwe wrote:Sexual Propagation it says that you can use a completely different plant and also that you can do it with a plant that is genetically identical.
Right, the assumption in the article is that we're talking about Venus fly traps. Not a completely different species of plant; just a completely different flytrap for cross-pollination.
By uxleumas
Matt wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:41 pm
I suppose so. The last flower to bloom likely has to be self-pollinated or it won't get pollinated.
Would it be possible to store the vft pollen like how you store nepenthes pollen? (brushed onto foil and refrigerated) I let my vft's stalk grow and now it has flowers :?
By Matt
uxleumas wrote:Would it be possible to store the vft pollen like how you store nepenthes pollen? (brushed onto foil and refrigerated) I let my vft's stalk grow and now it has flowers
I'm sure it would be doable but I've never done it and have no idea how long Venus flytrap pollen would stay viable after harvesting it.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!