FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By HarrisAz
is it safe if i water my VFT liquid nitrogen?bcoz i heard that one of the TC medium mixture is liquid nitrogen.can i water it on my VFT?
By Hayden
Im not sure you know what liquid nitrogen is lol!

I suggest you google it, its not the sort of thing id be hoping to find around the house!
By DTDream18
Since the average temperature of liquid nitrogen is somewhere between
- 220F and -240F I don't see how it would benefit your VFT's ... LOL
By RLK
undoubtedly he meant a liquid form of a nitrogen fertilizer... fertilizer typically kills CP's

VFT-sicles make me sad.

~RLK
RLK liked this
By Steve_D
HarrisAz wrote:is it safe if i water my VFT liquid nitrogen?bcoz i heard that one of the TC medium mixture is liquid nitrogen.can i water it on my VFT?
Some people spray a very weak fertilizer solution on the leaves of Venus Flytraps. Watering the growing medium with any kind of fertilizer is risky because too much of dissolved mineral salts in the wet growing medium can cause chemical burn and often death of the roots and sometimes of the whole plant, usually over a period of weeks or sometimes months if the concentration of dissolved minerals is fairly low.

Liquid nitrogen is the gas nitrogen that has been compressed into liquid. When it is decompressed it becomes extremely cold, almost instantly freezing anything it touches.

Nitrogen, a major plant nutrient, can exist in liquid fertilizers, and that is probably what you were referring to, as RLK mentioned.
Steve_D liked this
By HarrisAz
yes,what i mean is the nitrogen which is a nutrien for plants.Thanks all and especially RLK and Steve
By RLK
all that aside, if you are even a bit unsure about fertilizing your plants (which you are, otherwise you wouldn't have started this topic) then don't do it. pure and simple. its not worth risking your plant to try and do something that wont benefit them enough to outweigh the risk.

~RLK
By eou812
dude liquid nitrogen would make tounges screem and would turn a water baloon into glass lol
By tzestan
In the context for fertilizer, should be either urea, ammonium, or nitrate.
Urea usually requires bacteria to break it down to ammonium and nitrate before plant's root can absorb. Foliar spray of low grade urea would burn plant's leaf. Ammonium and nitrate are compounds in fertilizer. Unless you have access to reagent grade ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3), fertilizer mix has other minerals. It is not straightforward to make solution with known concentration, especially in small volume. Probably you can experiment when you have spare plants...:)
tzestan liked this
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!