FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By PitcherPlanter
Several people tell me about how Devil's Claw is smelly like gym socks or feet. They also say the glue supstance on them to capture bugs stick on clothes and such and you can't git it off! On the other hand several grower tell me they arn't sticky on clothes and don't stink. I need the truth!

ONLY DEVIL'S CLAW GROWERS RESPOND
Last edited by PitcherPlanter on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Oblivion
if you cant get advice here, i'd advise doing a google and reading as many sources as possible.

ive done this many many times with my plants, it helps you to draw a conclusion but it can take an hour or two of your time to do a good in-depth search/browse

if its any help, ill open google, do the search.
then as i browse results ill "right click/open in new tab" any link i think is worthy of a look.
once you get a dozen pages or so going, start reading.
it saves time going fw/back to g/seach.

i do the same thing whenever i browse the forums ;)
By Andrew
And then there are the seed pods. Those suckers are evil. They are very sharp. They are designed to snag onto animal feet and hold on until the poor beast dies and serves as fertilizer for the next generation of Devil's Claw.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That is a win.
By tc3driver
I can say with all honesty, I want nothing to do with this plant... It may even become invasive here in southern california...
By limeslide
tc3driver wrote:I can say with all honesty, I want nothing to do with this plant... It may even become invasive here in southern california...
It already is, some are naturally there too. :D
I grow this plant but I don't smell it so I can't answer your question.
By PitcherPlanter
So far my studying has shown that one species, Ibicella lutea is the stinky culprit. This species probably gives bad rep to the other species of Devil's Claw. People who have grown the Proboscidea species I know have not smelled anything or any sticky like slime. I am going to purchace some seeds and do some tests on them
By PitcherPlanter
And then there are the seed pods. Those suckers are evil. They are very sharp. They are designed to snag onto animal feet and hold on until the poor beast dies and serves as fertilizer for the next generation of Devil's Claw.
The seed pod has a natural green shell around it (like a nut). When the shell drys and comes off the claw is exposed. When a animal walks by it the claw hooks on for a ride spreading the seeds. "No it does not kill the animal." It is like in the forest when burs on plants hook on to animals to spread their seed.
Attachments:
The seed capsules of devil's claws are clearly adapted for hitchhiking on the hooves of large grazing animals; however, with the exception of introduced livestock and people (and possibly desert bighorn sheep), there are few native North American animals living within the present range of devil's claws that are capable of dispersing these large hitchhikers. It is possible that the range of some large North American grazers, such as antelope, bison, deer and elk once overlapped the range of devil's claws thousands of years ago. It is also possible that devil's claw dispersal by grazing mammals may be a North and South American anachronism, or an occurrence that is out of its proper time in history. During the past one million years of the Pleistocene Epoch, the Americas were rich in large mammals (such as giant ground sloths) which are now extinct. Assuming devil's claw plants existed over 600,000 years ago, were some of these ancient mammals the true carriers of these hitchhiker pods? A similar anachronism occurs in the New World tropics of Central and South America, where the natural dispersal agent for some large seed pods are unknown.
The seed capsules of devil's claws are clearly adapted for hitchhiking on the hooves of large grazing animals; however, with the exception of introduced livestock and people (and possibly desert bighorn sheep), there are few native North American animals living within the present range of devil's claws that are capable of dispersing these large hitchhikers. It is possible that the range of some large North American grazers, such as antelope, bison, deer and elk once overlapped the range of devil's claws thousands of years ago. It is also possible that devil's claw dispersal by grazing mammals may be a North and South American anachronism, or an occurrence that is out of its proper time in history. During the past one million years of the Pleistocene Epoch, the Americas were rich in large mammals (such as giant ground sloths) which are now extinct. Assuming devil's claw plants existed over 600,000 years ago, were some of these ancient mammals the true carriers of these hitchhiker pods? A similar anachronism occurs in the New World tropics of Central and South America, where the natural dispersal agent for some large seed pods are unknown.
slothtr.gif (25.96 KiB) Viewed 5627 times
unicor8b.jpg
unicor8b.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 5628 times
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!