FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By rmsmith
I just got a venus fly trap for my birth day and I have two questions. One more urgent that the other.

1. Is the little plastic tube it came in Ok to keep it in? I was thinking that it might not be a very good habitat, but I've never had one of these before so I don't know.

2. There is one trap inside another. Is this dangerous for the plant? I wanted to try to get it out, but it seems it will be hard because the one inside the other one is trapped because of the other's trigger hairs. So I was worried that the energy was being drained or something. Should I take it out
By hackerberry
Hello rmsmith and Welcome to the Forum.

You can take off the dome as VFTs will adjust to your humidity.
You can either remove the other trap inside the trap or just leave it there. I usually remove the trap.

hb
By Matt
Hello and welcome to the forum rmsmith!

hackerberry pretty much covered it all.
1. Ditch the dome. VFTs adapt well to low humidity and the increase humidity and stagnant air caused by the dome promotes mold and fungus to grow.
2. It's not dangerous at all for the plant to have traps inside of each other. It's pretty common for this to happen. You can leave it or pull it out. It's up to you.

Again, welcome!
By rmsmith
Thanks! I ended up pulling it out of there. I'm potting it tonight. I really hope it does well. Thank you guys so much again!

Rach
By mkburleson
Hello & Happy Birthday :)

I just thought I would ask you to find out what type of media/soil you used when you repotted your new VFT. You mentioned that you have never had one of these plants before so I thought it might be a good idea to check on that with you.

You will find that this Site has ALOT of good info for your VFT & just wait until you discover all the different varities of VFTs that are out there. Chances are you will be hooked for life.

Later,
Mary :)

I can vouch for this statement. Trader Joe's had a[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!