FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By heathenpriest
I didn't fully understand how healthy my plants are until yesterday, when a friend gave back a large pot of VFTs that I gave her last fall. She felt bad about their condition, and decided they'd be happier with me. I saw them back during the winter, and they were doing fine at the time, but now they're obviously stunted. The color is not bad, but the leaves are curled and poorly formed, the traps are small, and they don't appear to have bloomed at all, though the ones I've had are nearly finished now.
Her yard is pretty shady, so I think that's the main problem. There may be some water issues, too. I'm giving them partial sunlight for a week or so, and will be washing the soil out with clean water, in case there is some kind of mineral build-up. Then I'll move them outside with the others, where they can bask in the full sun all day and devour lots of insects. Hopefully, by the end of the summer they'll be healthy again.

UPDATE:
It may just be in my head, but I swear, they already look better, and it's only been about a week! I've been top watering them with distilled water to wash out any mineral accumulations, and they got a really hard rain today. I also moved them outside after only a few days, because it's been mostly cloudy anyway. I can see that some of the leaves are starting to yellow just a bit, and will probably die, but the new growth looks strong and healthy. You just gotta love how tough these little guys are!
Last edited by heathenpriest on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Caleboy 123
Well it's good that you are healing back the plants. It's very easy to heal a flytrap if they aren't completely dead.
By heathenpriest
Another Update: They've lost most of the existing leaves. (I know, I know - I always move them into full sun too quickly.) The new growth, however is healthy and straight. I think they'll be fine soon. I'll bet by the end of the summer they'll look as good as all the others. I wonder if they'll try to bloom late.

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!