FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Veronis
This stuff is originating in some of my water trays. I use distilled water and the effected pots are under a fluorescent light. Water typically sits in some of the trays for long periods because I don't want to soil to dry out.

I can't take a pic because it's clear and I can't get a clear shot of it, but in the water trays it looks like a squishy shapeless version of the top of your typical jellyfish, and behaves like mucus (when I pick up a pot, it often "hangs" like a strand of mucus). This "mucus" slime fungus is thicker than water but thinner than Jell-O. It also clings to the outside of the lower portion of the pot that's submerged in water.

It has no color whatsoever. When I say clear, I mean clear.

I'm pretty sure it's infested at least the inside bottom portion of several pots.

I was going to use Green Light Organic Neem II into the water trays and into the soil to try to combat it.

Any feedback or if anyone knows what the stuff is by the description I gave, it would be greatly appreciated.
By moof
Who knows what it could be? Maybe NASA would be interested?

:D

Seriously, I had a similar thing once in my D.capensis water tray. I have no idea what it is, but it wasn't harmful to plants I think. I rinsed the tray with hot water and changed the peat moss for another one of slightly better quality, and it solved the problem. What type of soil are you using? I think it may be corelated
By Veronis
It's a peat/sand mix.

The peat is Premier Brand, and the sand is "just horticultural sand" that I get from a local nursery and hand-wash prior to use - it's in clear bags with staples and the price hand-written on the bags. ;) I think the sand is the culprit - I don't believe I've seen it in my peat/perlite pots. It's a little too fine to use anyway, but I use it because I don't really have an alternative.

I need a better source of sand/silica, I just can't find any locally.
By moof
Try at shops with aquaristic supplies, I use silica gravel of a 2-3mm fraction. It works great, it let the roots grow better. I add the sand only in small ammounts to let the peat dry quicker
By corky
i bet if the plants were put in the real suns light the slime would die,what do you think
By snapperhead51
your problem is lack of natural sun light ,is common problem and can over run your pot very quickly,dont seem to do much to the plant all though some sun dews do get affected by it and die, more from being smothered than any thing else , but is very unsightly , fix!! put in more sun for a longer time , ,or put some very fine dry sand directly on the slime it hates it, the stuff they use to put between paver's !!, or take of the layer the slime is affecting its only on the surface , and repalce it with fresh mix ,probably the easiest to do.
Can use fungicide s or some other cems but not advisable natural is best all ways !! one note it will come back if you done change your position of the pant !!
J
By corky
think your right j i had it under fluorescent lights and it went quickly when my plants were put outside,do not think slime likes the sun
By snapperhead51
corky.
yep was 100% sure on the sun doing its job, as I have the very same problem , but only in our winter when the sun dont get to some of the pots enough, I move them and it goes very quickly, BUT!! its all ways there now and will come back as soon as the the sun is reduced ,if its a very big problem for you ,change your pot mix to new stuff, add a little bit more sand to the mix will help, but if other pots are affected that will be too soon so if you do one you got to do the lot ,and wash your pots out is hot soapy water ,strong detergent, then wash of in clean water ,and dry before re potting most important all of that especially the dry pot , your slime will be reduced or go or use bleach and rinse off thoroughly and dry both work and will not affect your plants ,just remember to wash the cleaning agents off though :mrgreen:
J
snapperhead51 liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!