FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Timmer
hi guys!

well momma had a few extra bucks so she bought me this Butterwhort from the local nursery. i told her she may have saved it from the "death cube", she just looked at me funny! lol

i have it sitting out under the umbrella on the pool deck, its bright out there, but not in direct light.

so i question is duz this thing like deep roots too like VFT's? maybe like same care, just better draining soil and no direct sunlight? should i cut its flower stem too for right now?
By Matt
Timmer wrote:so i question is duz this thing like deep roots too like VFT's?
No, Pinguicula have almost no roots at all. You could grow them in 1 inch of soil if you're able to keep it from getting too hot (more soil stabilizes the soil temperature).
Timmer wrote:maybe like same care, just better draining soil and no direct sunlight?
Yes, better draining soil and no direct sunlight is better for Pinguicula. Otherwise, their care requirements are almost identical.
Timmer wrote:should i cut its flower stem too for right now?
I certainly would.
By Xterms
It looks nice! :P Congrats for the good bargain! :)

Btw, what is this often-mentioned Death cube? I can't figure it out from any context I saw it in.
By Matt
Xterms wrote:Btw, what is this often-mentioned Death cube?
Many wholesalers sell Venus fly traps and other carnivorous plants in small plastic cube or cylinders, which many people refer to as "death cubes". The cube or cylinder help protect the plants during shipment and when they're on the shelf from poking fingers. They also help the plants keep from drying out. However the humidity is nearly 100% in the cube, which is great conditions for mold. Also, if placed in direct sunlight, the cubes become an oven! Thus, the term "death cube" was coined because there are so many ways for the plants to die in them.
Matt liked this
By roey benjamin marcus
Often, big department stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and others don't understand how fragile/temperamental these plants can be and just stick them in a death cube, thinking it's ok.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!