FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Natalie
Hi Everybody,
As you can see, I'm quite new here. I bought my plant a few weeks ago. Fluffy is currently sitting in the pot I bought her in, but that is sitting in a plastic container filled with gravel and water to keep the humidity up. She sits on my computer desk, near a North window. All her catchers and stalks are green, but she hasn't turned red yet. Is she still dormant, and just coming out of it? I'm not going to put her outside for a little bit (it's 3C outside right now), until it warms up.

Thanks,
Natalie
By Matt
Hello Natalie and welcome to flytrapcare!

You really don't need to worry about humidity that much with Venus flytraps. They adapt well to low humidity. You do, however, need to be careful of dissolved solids. The gravel that you used might leach minerals into the water that could make your plant sick. You're going to be better off just getting rid of the gravel and putting the pot in a tray with water.

As far as the plant turning red, that is dependent on many factors including genetics, time of year and how much sun or light the plant is getting. Usually my plants show the best coloration late in the year, but there are some plants that never show any red coloration.

I'm happy to hear that you plan on putting her outside once it warms up. That's definitely the best place to grow flytraps.

Well, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Glad to have you on the site!
By savagegardener
welcome natalie!
i hope you like it here!
By hackerberry
Yey! Another Canadian. Welcome to the forum! Matt already covered everything. Listen to him and your plant will be unstopable in no time.

hb
By Aging_Bourbon
Natalie wrote:Hi Everybody,
As you can see, I'm quite new here. I bought my plant a few weeks ago. Fluffy is currently sitting in the pot I bought her in, but that is sitting in a plastic container filled with gravel and water to keep the humidity up. She sits on my computer desk, near a North window. All her catchers and stalks are green, but she hasn't turned red yet. Is she still dormant, and just coming out of it? I'm not going to put her outside for a little bit (it's 3C outside right now), until it warms up.

Thanks,
Natalie

Hello Natalie and welcome to the site.. well your plant is green because its not in full sunlight.. venus flytraps and other CP's need sunlight for several reason's 1: they need energy all plants get there energy from sun light NOTE: they don't get it from catching bugs. 2: they sometime's need to take extra step's to produce other stuff this is true with sundews to get the Dew
well i hope that help a little bit..

Allen,
By Devon
Hello!!!
By Carl
Welcome to FlyTrapCare Forum :)

Carl
By Aging_Bourbon
hello welcome to the site

allen,
Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!