FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By killerost
I've got a Nephenthes Alata and I'm wondering wether or not to prune of some old pitchers.. I really don't like to cut of parts of my plants, but I've also read that old pitchers should be removed.. so I've taken a picture and I'll let you guys decide.

Are these dead and ready for cutting of?
By Matt
I am by no means a Nepenthes expert, but I never cut anything off any of my plants unless it's completely brown. I've heard many times that plants will slowly absorb whatever energy and nutrients they can as the rest of the pitcher browns. Cutting it off before it browns means that you could be cutting away a source of energy from the plant.
By dionaea muscipula
sometimes nepenthes brown only the top half of the pitcher because it does not want to catch anymore insects, but it still wants to digest what it had caught before it started to turn brown to get the nutrients that are left over, so you should wait for the pitcher to turn completely black to cut it off.
By killerost
I've got some small "soon to be pitchers" on some of the leaves, cutting of the old once won't make them grow faster?
By snapperhead51
Hi Killerost.
I my experience cutting off the pitchers too early can affect your plant , it would be better to wait till it or the pitchers are well over half even 3/4 browned off, (the length of the pitcher) before discarding them, usually as one is dyeing off anther is forming , its the way it works , to get larger pitchers if you are willing when in full going mode mid spring!! cut off every second pitcher forming or the next one forming , this makes the next in line get both lots of nutrients and usually doubles in size , but only if you dare , I do it often with mostly good results.
J
By killerost
Ok, thanks for feedback everybody! :)
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!