FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By funkeecheekeemunkee
hi there i have just purchased my 1st pitchers and im not sure what these guys need. being from scotland, the weather isnt great or the supplies so i planted them in 2¦1 spagnum and perlite as that worked really well for my vfts. i also got a sundew and put it in with them. any thoughts???? :D
By theflytrapboy
what kind of pitcher plant though? the mix should be fine. and i dont know what the weather is in scotland but if its summer i guess put them outside winter then er some place cold.
By funkeecheekeemunkee
its sarracenia i have, the weather here is quite cold but on sunny days i put them outside. they are a bit brown round the edges and im not really sure how to revive them a wee bit?
By theflytrapboy
is it summer in scotland or winter? im going to guess its winter so put it in a cold winter if its summer then do the same. basically if its the growing season where you live keep it warm and sunny for it. it is normal for pitchers on new ones to brown when first bought. its OK. if its winter in scottland then keep it cooler for it. and what species of sarracenia is it?
theflytrapboy liked this
By funkeecheekeemunkee
it is indeed summer :)

tho our summer consists of about 20c being hot! lol
i keep them on the windowsill along with my vfts so hopefully they be ok.
not sure what type they are, iv put photos on my page, they are kinda green with purple veins?
the plant shops here arent very helpul im afraid
By kittyklaws
funkeecheekeemunkee, I couldn't seem to find the pictures of your sarr, but that description sounds like some sort of leucophylla maybe? :)
They should do fine in a sunny window, even though they usually do better outside in direct sunlight. Good luck with yours! :D
By woowoo
Hi as you know Iam form Scotland to, my pitcher is doing fine with my VFTs i treat them the same apart form i give them a little more water to get the soil a bit damper as i read they like it a bit wetter that the vft.

I keep mine on my window sill.

Fiona.
By theflytrapboy
lol sorry about the confusion with the seasons thing (blush)
By doku
funkeecheekeemunkee wrote:it is indeed summer :)

tho our summer consists of about 20c being hot! lol
i keep them on the windowsill along with my vfts so hopefully they be ok.
not sure what type they are, iv put photos on my page, they are kinda green with purple veins?
the plant shops here arent very helpul im afraid
American pitcher plants and flytraps can definitely be grown outside in the summer in your area. I live in southern California(U.S.) and all my plants experience temperatures above 32C during the summer and they always do great. Even with humidity down to 9% they grow really well. Even right now the average temperature in the day is 26C +. Just make sure you acclimate them to full sun, low humidity, and never let them dry out.
By theflytrapboy
oh and green with purple veins sounds like maybe a purpurea or even leucophylla. is it a short squat type thing?
By funkeecheekeemunkee
the pitcher is mainly lots of tiny green guys thattcome out of what i can only describe as a purple base? the bigger they grow they get purple tops with white dots x
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!