FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Xterms
Hello!
I set off in the heavy morning downpour for a packet of perlite in the capital and for some new carnivorous friends on the way back. They don't seem to having been cared well, but that's why I could buy them at a minimal price.
Here are the sarracenias:
The left one is an Alata X Leucophylla ( my two favourites :P ), and the right one is supposedly a purpurea (?). The latter one was flowering, that's what he also didn't like, so I cut it off and placed it beside the plant, I heard there's a chance that it develops a new plant. They have suffered lack of light, that's why they're very tall and weak (I think) but hopefully will get better at me. Opinions? :)

The next one is the Nepenthes.
He was fertilized and all of the leaves' ends were black, so I cut them off. The grower knew about the fertilizing damage but he didn't grow the plant for its large pitchers. I repotted the nep. immediately (as all the others, too), flushed his roots and gave him a brand new soil. I think he'll grow pitchers on the new shoots. Opinions? :)

And here's my beautiful new VFT, he already got the first lunch at me with the assistance of an earwig. I hate earwigs. :)
(sorry for the bad light conditions, I can't drive the sun :( )
And two other questions:
1. I have two bottles of frozen rainwater in the freezer. Can I water the plants with them after I run out of the liquid water?
2. How can I remove husks from the traps of the VFTs if the procedure triggers the traps? Or should I just leave the corpses where they are?

I'd be extremely grateful for your opinions and advices.

Cheers,
Xterms
By moof
1) If you live in a clean area, it'll be OK.
2) Use a spray bottle, the water will remove the husks and won't close the traps.

Yes the sarracenias look really light-starved. The nep will take some time to acclimatize, even several months. Mist it with water for time to time. Cutting the black ends of the leaves wasn't necessary, I guess these were old, undeveloped pitchers.
moof liked this
By Xterms
Thank you very much indeed!

How can I be sure about the care of the Nep.? When can its species be identified? How should I give care for him until someone can tell its species?
Oh, and what is mist, please? :D I don't know what it means in plant growing (please forgive this to a foreigner ;) ).
By moof
You should spray it with water from time to time, I guess that's a N. x 'Ventrata'. This plant is really easy
moof liked this
By Xterms
moof wrote:You should spray it with water from time to time, I guess that's a N. x 'Ventrata'. This plant is really easy
Thank you master, thank you, thank YOU! :D
One more question please: how often should I mist him? And I lied, because I have another one :D : do I have to water him beside misting?
By dionaea muscipula
well sine we don't really know what nepenthes it is, i can't give you specific instructions on growing it, wait for it to grow pitchers then we can give you specific instructions on growing it, what i can share with you is, if its a highland nepenthes day temperatures should be between 85F(about 28C) and 65F(about 20C), night temps, should drop below 65F. highlanders really don't need much humidity.

Lowland nepenthes are a bit more tricky, day temps should be between 90F(about 31C) and 70F, night temperatures should not drop below 65F. they love high humidity, and many species should make a good terrarium plants. nepenthes don't like to be sitting in water, make sure their soil is moist, but not wet nor dry.
By moof
dionaea muscipula gave you very good info. So you have to give it "basic" nep conditions as we're not 100% sure what plant is that. I guess it's an x 'Ventrata' by the shape of the leaves and because these are the most common neps, but without pitchers I can be wrong. Misting 1-2 times a day will be OK. As d.m. wrote, keep the soil moist, not wet.
By Xterms
Thank you, Gentlemen, I'm incredibly grateful!
I just worry about not giving him the proper conditions since we don't even know what conditions we are talking about. :) But you're certainly right and gave me very useful advices…God sent you, gentlemen! :D

Oh, and the black peaks: I cut them off because of hearing that they're more susceptible to fungal infections and molding.

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!