FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Hello flytrapcare community!!

Well, today i was looking at my "typical VFT", but i notice that one of he traps look more like a Cupped Trap VFT, is it possible to have two different clones in one VFT plant?, because the others look normal, is just one of the traps that is cupped.

Thanks!=D
Attachments:
IMG_4009.JPG
IMG_4009.JPG (272.76 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
IMG_4008.JPG
IMG_4008.JPG (219.67 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
IMG_4010.JPG
IMG_4010.JPG (26.35 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
Last edited by jht-union on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Doomsday
To be honest, you shouldn't try to give it a culivar nameif you didn't our base it under one from a reputable breeder. It is probablyjust a mutated trap or deformed one. Plus the true cupped trap fly traps have one end sealed kinda not just warped.

Also, even if a plant has the same characteristics of a reistered cultivar, if it isn't a clone from a cutting or tissue culture of the true cultivar, it doesn't have the same DNA. Therefore it is unwise to label unnamed plants as a cultivar because they begin to spread under that name until there are 100's of different plants going around as "cupped trap"
By Matt
Traps have all sorts of weird mutations that occur from time to time. The one you see on your plants is a fairly common one that seems to happen to traps. It's just a mutation of the trap, and not indicative of any stable genetic mutation in your plant.

That doesn't make it any less cool to look at while your plant has that trap though :)
By jht-union
Hello,

Thank you for answering, it's definitely weird to see that trap compared to the others, but that's not the only trap that looks weird in the same VFT plant, the traps in two of the leafs are backwards, so instead to be facing the other way, they're facing backwards(this is really hard to explain, i hope somebody understand my question, i will also put a picture)

Bye!
By Steve_D
A real Cupped Trap plant has traps in which the outermost upper margins of the trap curve downward directly into the central spine of the trap, unlike the highlighted trap in the photo of your plant, which has distinct outer edges, without cilia, of each lobe of the trap.

Nice photo though, and nice plant. :)
Steve_D liked this
By jht-union
Steve_D wrote:A real Cupped Trap plant has traps in which the outermost upper margins of the trap curve downward directly into the central spine of the trap, unlike the highlighted trap in the photo of your plant, which has distinct outer edges, without cilia, of each lobe of the trap.

Nice photo though, and nice plant. :)

Thank you Steve_D!!!, do you think that i should cut the trap, or just leave it like that?

-Thanks for your help!!=D :mrgreen:
By OR1ON
If its still green theres no reason to cut it. Its still serving a purpose in photosynthesis.
OR1ON liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Supply the air fare and lodging and I will be ther[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!