FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions and share knowledge about cameras and photographic technique

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Another site that I frequent and am partial owner of, summitpost.org, has some really incredible photos and members that are great photographers. If you ever want to see some amazing outdoor photography you should peruse the photos. At a minimum, I'd highly recommend looking at the best photos on the site (voted so by the members):
http://www.summitpost.org/image/

Anyway, here's a link to the article:
http://www.summitpost.org/article/60998 ... hotos.html
I thought that it was a good read and it gave me some good insight to night photography, of which I knew basically nothing about previously. I particularly like the table that lists Condition/Example Photo/Shutter Speed/Aperature/ISO Speed for taking night photos.

On a full moon night, I'd love to try to get some photos of my Flytraps with a moon backdrop. :!:
Matt, Matt, Matt liked this
By Veronis
That's some seriously awesome camerawork. I'd love to follow some of these guys around and see how they capture images like these.
Matt wrote:On a full moon night, I'd love to try to get some photos of my Flytraps with a moon backdrop. :!:
I've thought about doing this as well.

I also still need to make a Super Mario plant pipe VFT pot. ;)
By moof
Whoa beautiful photos!
By 95slvrZ28
Wow, there are some great photos in there!

The biggest problem I've run into with night photography is noise on the photo sensor. My camera has a noise reduction, but it doesn't completely solve the issue. I will say I love shooting photos at night with some artificial light source. Anything that's lit becomes so vivid in the image. In addition to this I really like to take night shots and make them into HDR photos because it really helps bring out the detail.

Matt, if you decide to take some night shots of your plants can we talk so I can make some HDRs of them?
By Steve_D
WOW, Matt. Those SummitPost photos are just beautiful. Thanks for posting a link to them.

I'll bet the nighttime photography tips are great; need to read them. :)
By 95slvrZ28
I took some night photos a few days ago and thought I'd share. They're not too fantastic. I'm a little disappointed at the shot of the moon. It looked so cool with some clouds around it as I was getting my camera out and then they turned into not-quite-as-cool clouds...

And here I HDR'd the city:
By 95slvrZ28
It was taken just a little ways up Flagstaff. The longest exposure for that HDR was a pretty long (probably around 1.5 min or so), thus all the stupid noise in the black parts of the photo :(
By tc3driver
I have long ago given up on taking night photos and photos of stars... the pictures always come out too noisy... but those are some gorgeous pictures.
By 95slvrZ28
The difficult part about taking photos of the stars is balancing exposure time with iso. If you have too long of exposure because the iso is low to get less noise, you're bound to get trails from the stars (or rather Earth) moving. That said, if you bump up the iso to get a short exposure to capture the stars crisply, you're going to get more noise. The amount of noise really depends on the sensor in the camera though.
By Nats
95slvrZ28 wrote:Wow, there are some great photos in there!

The biggest problem I've run into with night photography is noise on the photo sensor. My camera has a noise reduction, but it doesn't completely solve the issue. I will say I love shooting photos at night with some artificial light source. Anything that's lit becomes so vivid in the image. In addition to this I really like to take night shots and make them into HDR photos because it really helps bring out the detail.

Matt, if you decide to take some night shots of your plants can we talk so I can make some HDRs of them?

If you have a dSLR your photo sensor will be much larger then a PAS camera, hench, less noise at higher sensitity.
Just use a tripod and hope the plant isnt moving too much in the wind and experiment with different shutter sheads and apature.
Generally, the longer the exposer, the better depth and color.

The great thing about digital cameras, you get to change sensitivity between shots and see the results instantly :)
By David F
Veronis wrote:That's some seriously awesome camerawork. I'd love to follow some of these guys around and see how they capture images like these.
Matt wrote:On a full moon night, I'd love to try to get some photos of my Flytraps with a moon backdrop. :!:
I've thought about doing this as well.

I also still need to make a Super Mario plant pipe VFT pot. ;)

The moon always appears tiny in my photos, and the super Mario Plnat pite VFT pot, will be one of the pots I make from ceramics, if you interested PM me, we can do all kinds of cool stuff.
By 95slvrZ28
Thought I'd hop in and bump this thread with a few more photos...

But first...
Nats wrote:If you have a dSLR your photo sensor will be much larger then a PAS camera, hench, less noise at higher sensitity.
Those were shot with a DSLR, but when you have exposures that approach 2 minutes you're bound to get some noise. My DSLR isn't super fancy either, I really wish I had one that was nicer.

Onto the photos!

And my personal favorite from when I shot these:
95slvrZ28, 95slvrZ28, 95slvrZ28 and 1 others liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!