FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
I finally got my Heliamphora order from Wistuba after a very long wait. Steve and I ordered together and Steve got the package on Saturday and mailed it the same day. Priority mail usually takes 3 days from his house to mine, so I thought that they'd be here on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Well, they finally showed up today! I was starting to get worried

They all look pretty good with the exception of H. sarracenioides. It was originally two small plants, one of which looks completely dead and the other looks like it's on its way out. I hope it recovers. Anyway, here are some photos of them:

H. hispida

H. elongata

H. heterodoxa X nutans

H. folliculata
http://www.flytrapcare.com/images/origi ... 4f736b.jpg

H. sarracenioides

H. neblinae (red form)

All 6 of them ready to head to the terrarium:

I tried a new potting mix for them. With my first order of Helis, I just put them in my standard flytrap mix (50% peat, 30% silica sand, 20% perlite). This time I put them in the following:
1 part flytrap mix (50% peat, 30% silica sand, 20% perlite)
1 part perlite
1 part silica sand
2 parts milled live sphagnum (dried)

I'm interested to see how they do!
By watnazn
Really nice matt. Heli's look great, but seem picky with their growing conditions. Your's will do great with your care. Make sure to update!
By Steve_D
Thank goodness they finally arrived! I hope the H. sarracenioides makes a comeback.

Like you, I decided against a standard Venus Flytrap growing mix and just repotted all my Heliamphora into a new mix:

2 parts small orchid bark (evergreen bark)
1 part sphagnum peat moss
1 part desalinated coir
3 parts silica sand
1 part perlite

In addition, I have begun occasional mild (weak) foliar feeding with Miracid soluble fertilizer.

Heliamphora are so new to cultivation that everyone's experience with them in various climates, conditions, growing mediums and growing regimens would be helpful to everyone else. So maybe between all of us who are trying to grow Heliamphora, we'll learn how to keep them happy and grow them well.

Look forward to seeing updates on your plants over time, Matt! :)
By Matt
I think that Heliamphora will do better in an airier mix, but I was pleasantly surprised at very healthy root systems on the other two Heliamphora I repotted today that I had growing in the standard flytrap media:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/helia ... t6043.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/helia ... t6044.html

I put some of the divisions back into the standard flytrap mix and I put some into the new mix I created today. I'm anxious to see how they grow in the two mixes side by side over the next few months.
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:I put some of the divisions back into the standard flytrap mix and I put some into the new mix I created today. I'm anxious to see how they grow in the two mixes side by side over the next few months.
That will be a great experiment and educational for everyone. :) I was also surprised and pleased at the nice root growth of the Heliamphora that I uprooted from regular Venus Flytrap medium to transplant in the new medium.
By hackerberry
Very nice Matt! I love the Neblinea.

hb
By 95slvrZ28
Wow, that Heterodoxa x Nutans is a very nice looking plant! It sounds like you went with a potting mix pretty similar to what I went with. It will be interesting to see how the standard mix vs this airy mix do for the plants!
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:Wow, that Heterodoxa x Nutans is a very nice looking plant!
I agree. I really like the heterodoxa hybrids. The nectar spoons on them look awesome. And they're quite resilient compared to most of the other "pure" species (non-hybrids).
95slvrZ28 wrote:It will be interesting to see how the standard mix vs this airy mix do for the plants!
I agree. I'm very curious to see how the two media compare. My guess is that there won't be much of a difference as long as I keep them similarly wet, but I might be surprised.
By Oblivion
the neblinae looks like it will get some fantastic colouring when it gets a bit more mature
Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!