FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
It looks like a pretty good deal. There are two things I'd be concerned with:
1) How's it going to stand up to wind?
2) How well are the vents going to work? It could easily cook your plants inside if the 3 vents on each side don't allow the heat out quickly enough. Seems to me it would need a vent in the top because the hot air rises.
Matt liked this
By alabama
Matt wrote:It looks like a pretty good deal. There are two things I'd be concerned with:
1) How's it going to stand up to wind?
2) How well are the vents going to work? It could easily cook your plants inside if the 3 vents on each side don't allow the heat out quickly enough. Seems to me it would need a vent in the top because the hot air rises.
are winds arent to strong down here anyway

for #2 i have no clue, i thought i could put a shelf up in there run a extension cord and put a fan in it with the fan on the top shelf would that work?
i have no clue what im doing when it comes to greenhouses thats why im asking lol.
By Matt
That's great that you don't have to worry about wind much. Wind is the number one killer of greenhouses.

I learned a lot last year when I nearly cooked all of my plants in the greenhouse. Thankfully the didn't die (Venus fly traps are very tough plants), but I'm definitely much more cautious about how hot it gets in there. I open the vent and door and have a fan that kicks on when it gets above 75°F. On really hot days, I use a shade cloth too.

The fan makes a huge difference, as does the shade cloth. I'd imagine that you could get away with a large fan to help cool it.
By alabama
Matt wrote:That's great that you don't have to worry about wind much. Wind is the number one killer of greenhouses.

I learned a lot last year when I nearly cooked all of my plants in the greenhouse. Thankfully the didn't die (Venus fly traps are very tough plants), but I'm definitely much more cautious about how hot it gets in there. I open the vent and door and have a fan that kicks on when it gets above 75°F. On really hot days, I use a shade cloth too.

The fan makes a huge difference, as does the shade cloth. I'd imagine that you could get away with a large fan to help cool it.
alright thank you ima get a humidity level checker+temp and getting some lights for the closet tomorrow
so think i will beable to pull it off with a fan + shade cloth?
By alabama
Matt wrote:
alabama wrote:so think i will beable to pull it off with a fan + shade cloth?
I'd guess so, but I can't say for sure.

Let us know what you decide to do!
well i was looking more on ebay and found a better one
http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-12x7-x7-Premiu ... 2303f603ed
and i figure with a fan plus 6 side vents + ill open it up
i think i can pull it off.
By Oblivion
i think if you left all vents open and rolled up, you'd probably get enough fresh air in there?

could even half open the door if needed.
i guess it depends how hot (and how much direct sun) it gets in your area Vs how much wind you get.

all the vents in the world wont help if your not getting at least a gentle breeze to blow through it.
By alabama
our winds always blow at 9-10 mph so they will get gentle breeze done planned on opening the door all the way up with 6 vents + a fannage so im hoping it will work :D ordering on thursday
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!