FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tc3driver
How long should I wait to change the medium of my seedlings to the stuff I purchased from FTC?
tc3driver liked this
By tc3driver
They started Germinating 2-3 weeks ago.
By Matt
tc3driver wrote:bump :)
My guess as to why you've not got an answer yet is because there isn't really a "right" answer to your question :)

For what it's worth, when I used to grow seedlings, I'd sow them on the media that I wanted them to grow on for a year or so. At the end of that year, I'd repot. If you aren't happy with the medium they're on, you can repot them at any point. If they seem to be growing well, you could leave them alone until next spring.

How's that for a completely vague answer? ;)
Matt liked this
By tc3driver
Matt wrote:
tc3driver wrote:bump :)
My guess as to why you've not got an answer yet is because there isn't really a "right" answer to your question :)

For what it's worth, when I used to grow seedlings, I'd sow them on the media that I wanted them to grow on for a year or so. At the end of that year, I'd repot. If you aren't happy with the medium they're on, you can repot them at any point. If they seem to be growing well, you could leave them alone until next spring.

How's that for a completely vague answer? ;)
Actually that is not completely vague :)

I don't trust the media they are in at the moment, as it was part of the kit... so if I can do so at "any point" then I shall go for it :D

Thanks for the info Matt :D
By Matt
tc3driver wrote:I don't trust the media they are in at the moment, as it was part of the kit...
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I'd be skeptical too.

If it helps you at all to know, I use a toothpick when I repot seedlings. I dig a hole with the toothpick and then gently set the baby into the hole, making sure to get the roots down in there (if it has any).

I've also heard of people using a spoon to just take out a divot of soil and put them in the new soil.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!