FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By WORMSS
just 2 more legs.. I reacon he could have made it....

Evolution just needs 1 more step! :D
By CN-
BTW when I looked in there an seen it I screamed like a girl :o :oops:
I have read that they are good pest destroyers in the home . They chase down and kill and eat spiders ...... if it would have been alive I may have saved it , because the only good spider is a dead one Image

Daren
By CN-
It is a Scutigera Coleoptrata AKA House Centipede
" Four Facts You Didn't Realize You Wanted To Know About That Thing Living Behind Your Toilet

1.Scutigera Coleoptrata are Not Your Fault
Stop beating yourself up. Unlike, say, cockroaches, house centipedes aren't hanging around because you didn't clean the kitchen. At least, not directly. Scutigera coleoptrata feed on spiders and insects--they're actually pretty beneficial if you're willing to do the devil's arithmetic here and decide that you'd rather have one fast-moving centipede than a colony of roaches. That said, leaving crumbs and half-eaten sandwiches about does create a nice environment for s. coleoptrata's food to grow in. So it might not hurt to clean.

2. Scutigera Coleoptrata are Efficient
They're actually capable of eating several other bugs at once, noshing on one meal while holding onto another with one of their 30 legs. They usually hunt at night, waiting for prey to get close enough that they can jump onto it, lasso it in, or whip it into submission.

3. Scutigera Coleoptrata are Not a Toy
House centipedes do their hunting via a set of venomous front legs. The good news: They won't come looking to start a fight with you and, most of the time, even if you do egg them into attacking, they won't be able to break your skin barrier. The bad news: That's only most of the time. S. coleoptrata has apparently successfully stung humans before. Not life-threatening, it's supposed to feel a lot like a bee sting.

4. Scutigera Coleoptrata
Will Not Forget This
Unlike a lot of household pests that can be expected to die shortly after breeding, s. coleoptrata can live as long as seven years. There's a distinct possibility they've been in your house longer than you have. During that time, they can grow to be as big as 1.75 in. long. Unsurprisingly, getting rid of them isn't easy. Sticky traps are often recommended, but the house centipede can escape those by simply breaking off the stuck legs and growing them back later.
Photo courtesy Kenta Hayashi "
Daren
By petmantis
CN- wrote:It is a Scutigera Coleoptrata AKA House Centipede
" Four Facts You Didn't Realize You Wanted To Know About That Thing Living Behind Your Toilet

1.Scutigera Coleoptrata are Not Your Fault
Stop beating yourself up. Unlike, say, cockroaches, house centipedes aren't hanging around because you didn't clean the kitchen. At least, not directly. Scutigera coleoptrata feed on spiders and insects--they're actually pretty beneficial if you're willing to do the devil's arithmetic here and decide that you'd rather have one fast-moving centipede than a colony of roaches. That said, leaving crumbs and half-eaten sandwiches about does create a nice environment for s. coleoptrata's food to grow in. So it might not hurt to clean.

2. Scutigera Coleoptrata are Efficient
They're actually capable of eating several other bugs at once, noshing on one meal while holding onto another with one of their 30 legs. They usually hunt at night, waiting for prey to get close enough that they can jump onto it, lasso it in, or whip it into submission.

3. Scutigera Coleoptrata are Not a Toy
House centipedes do their hunting via a set of venomous front legs. The good news: They won't come looking to start a fight with you and, most of the time, even if you do egg them into attacking, they won't be able to break your skin barrier. The bad news: That's only most of the time. S. coleoptrata has apparently successfully stung humans before. Not life-threatening, it's supposed to feel a lot like a bee sting.

4. Scutigera Coleoptrata
Will Not Forget This
Unlike a lot of household pests that can be expected to die shortly after breeding, s. coleoptrata can live as long as seven years. There's a distinct possibility they've been in your house longer than you have. During that time, they can grow to be as big as 1.75 in. long. Unsurprisingly, getting rid of them isn't easy. Sticky traps are often recommended, but the house centipede can escape those by simply breaking off the stuck legs and growing them back later.
Photo courtesy Kenta Hayashi "
Daren

That's disgusting. I didn't know they could 'multitask' with eating, or grow back their legs :x

Daren, I suggest putting some Neps behind the toilet ;) get the 30-legged buggers good.
By WORMSS
Eating spiders are a good thing???

what????

I kept a spider in my bedroom [huge mofo too] cus he was eating all the other insects that flown into my room

the ting was a cleaver beast too... he setup this MASSIVE MASSIVE web right across where my window opens ...

something like 75% of all insets was going to get trapped by him....

I loved him...

until my mother seen it, destroyed the web and clsoed my window,... even after opening it again he didn't rebuild... and then got infested with those anoying daddy longlegs.. who aren't actually daddy longlegs, but everyone calls them that anyway.
By Zomboni
uggghhh.... centipedes, they scare me and my school has like 80million of them everywhere.
By kevinqwe
WORMSS wrote:Eating spiders are a good thing???

what????

I kept a spider in my bedroom [huge mofo too] cus he was eating all the other insects that flown into my room

the ting was a cleaver beast too... he setup this MASSIVE MASSIVE web right across where my window opens ...

something like 75% of all insets was going to get trapped by him....

I loved him...

until my mother seen it, destroyed the web and clsoed my window,... even after opening it again he didn't rebuild... and then got infested with those anoying daddy longlegs.. who aren't actually daddy longlegs, but everyone calls them that anyway.
haha thats nasty man
By handerpants
I hate house centipedes, and I've unfortunately seen too many of them. I'm glad the CPs have begun to fight back :D

The worst part is they can climb on the walls and ceiling...
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!