FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Hello flytrapcare community!!

i would like to know how can you make SPHAGNUM MOSS & SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS by your own, without buying it?
Can anyone give me the steps if they know how?
How long does it takes?

Thanks! =D :mrgreen:
By Matt
Do you mean you wish to grow it? You'll need to get some live sphagnum to do so.

Sphagnum moss, or long fibered sphagnum moss, is just dried sphagnum. Peat moss is dead, decomposing sphagnum moss that is found underneath the actively growing moss in a sphagnum bog.
By jht-union
Hello Matt, what i want to do is grow sphagnum peat moss, and then dried so i could have sphagnum peat moss, i was just curious to know if that was possible, but it sounds hard actually, thank you anyways!! =D
By Ronnie
To start with you'd need sphagnum moss to start with..
But to make sphagnum PEAT , the moss would need to go through numerous processes through thousands or millions or years.

It would be impossible to just make it.

What you can do is buy some LIVE sphagnum and sit it in a container of water in indirect light and it will grow, but very slowly.

Or, buy dried sphagnum and sit that in water, and maybe, just maybe, some bits can grow back..

Goodluck!!

Ron.
Ronnie liked this
By Dooter
I repotted my VFTs in a 50/50 mix of dried long-fibered Sphagnum moss and Perlite about 3 weeks ago, and already the moss is starting to revive itself and grow on the surface.
Dooter liked this
By jht-union
i'm growing mine in dried long-fibered sphagnum moss only, because i haven't found silica sand yet, and the closest place is about 30 away from my home.
Mine was getting a green color on the top too, is it good to have a vft with the greenwish color of the dried long-fibered sphagnum moss, or is it bad for the VFT, when i see the green color coming on on the top i think of it as too much water that creates the moss, which i guess is bad for the plant?, please correct me if i'm wrong!!!!!! =D

Thank you Dooter!
By sPacer
I can usually get the dried bales of peat moss to grow. Sometimes I will put together a big container of moss as a catch all for splits and divisions, using a clear tote bin.The moss will grow along the sides beneath soil level. I think the clear sides really help with this. Being in a good climate for sphagnum growth certainly helps, the stuff grows in many locations in my town and I can easily find light green to pure red moss if I go looking. We're about 3 miles from the Darlingtonia Wayside in Oregon.
sPacer liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!