FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By kittyklaws
I found this odd little guy in with my other sundews a few months ago. It's grown quite a bit and has thrown up a little white flower. Does anyone know what it could be? Thanks!
-Kelly :D
Attachments:
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG (242.18 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG (380.48 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
By kittyklaws
Anyone think it may be a pygmy sundew? It couldn't have matured so fast otherwise right...? Are those snap tentacles I'm seeing?
By theflytrapboy
i think its a roseana. it doesnt look like the other one you mentioned. oh! and im sorry kitty :) it was a big mistake with the seeds) oh and oddly enough i just got a roseana on friday! so im happy and content.oh and they make gemnae in winter and you sow them and they grow up etc they are a really easy way to propagate them. i mean REALLY easy. and i have seen pygmys self pollinate before, but since this is my first roseana im sorry but i cant help until i get a flower on mine. pretty much just the same as normal sundews. im not really an expert on them. if i quit being lazy and charge my camera i will post pictures of everything. oh and i was just wondering can you plant a roseana flower like a flytrap and get a plant from it?
By agamadragon
looks alot like roseana but i dont think they have snap tentacals mybe its a cross or those are just long tentacals with no dew on them
By kittyklaws
Hmmn interesting, thanks alot for the insight guys! :D
Looks like it really is a roseana (or some sort of hybrid) then :) YAY!
For some curious reason, I'm still hovering over the notion of pygmaea...maybe because it has snap tentacles? I just really don't know, but really appreciate the input! :D
By sundewman
Yea,that is not D. roseana. It is likely D. x 'Lake Badgerup' (infertile) or another similar hybrid of D. nitidula, D. pygmaea (as you guessed), or D. occidentalis. They all look pretty similar.
The best way to tell, by far, is to compare with opened flower pictures (once yours opens).

Here are pics of mine for comparison:
D. x 'Lake Badgerup' (year old plants)- the flowers are usually a sure-tell sign, since they have 4 red stigmas.

D. occidentalis:

and the D. roseana in this pic are behind the D. niditula x pulchella in the front.
sundewman liked this
By Matt
I knew we'd get an expert eventually :)
sundewman wrote:It is likely D. x 'Lake Badgerup' (infertile)
I only grow about 3 types of pygmys and D. x 'Lake Badgerup' is one of them and the plant in Kelly's photos doesn't look like my plants, so that's why I didn't guess that one. But all pygmys look very similar to me...
By kittyklaws
Thanks for the info! And wow, beautiful plants! :D
Do you have any tips for growing pygmy sundew, so I can get mine (whatever it is) to grow any where near as beautifully as yours? :lol:
By sundewman
lol matt, that's flattering, but I wouldn't consider myself an "expert" by any means!
I agree with you that most pygmy sundews look extremely similar. However, just check out the flower varieties!!!:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/923/planche2r.jpg
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1714/planche1.jpg
(these pictures are jp's on cpuk)

@kitty, yours look amazing to me right now- very healthy, so just keep doing what you're doing!
One thing that definitely helps is if they're catching bugs or being fed. Looks like that won't be an issue for you...
Another thing is to give them as tall of a pot as possible- I usually use 6 or 7-inch pots. The roots are very fragile so they shouldn't be transplanted, or they will likely die (unless very young). So for now, just keep them where they are and let them do their thing!
Good growing,
Aaron
sundewman liked this
By kittyklaws
Oooh! Pretty flowers :D !
Thanks for the tips :) I will keep them in mind. Yea, I feed them a few critters from the garden about once a week or so, and right now there's 2 more flower stalks coming up! :D This time I won't miss it and hopefully snap a pic! ;)
By MichaelG
I like it... I want it... Can I have it?

Lol jk... I'll just order it from somewhere if I can find it. Congratulations on your lucky find!
By kittyklaws
Lol, thanks! :D
It's growing really fast now, put up 2 more flower stalks. :)
MichaelG, would you be interested in seeds for trade or if it's some sort of infertile hybrid, how about gemmae this fall? :D
By theflytrapboy
oh hey kitty! im gonna make a post soon once the little burgers get big enough to photo them well enough to actually identify them, but i have some sundews popping up too! ill post some pics once they grow enough
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!