FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Submit a photo to enter the contest or vote for your favorite photo submission

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Hello FlytrapCare members,

After much discussion and a lot of input and planning from many members here, we're very excited to announce the first FlytrapCare photo contest! The CP photo contest will open for on submissions Monday, May 17th. The rules are as follows:

Photo Contest Rules:
1. One carnivorous plant photo submission per user; your submission is final.
2. The photo must be no longer than one month old, and must be of a plant you own.
3. The plant species must be included with your post (although, i.e. "Sarracenia unknown hybrid" is acceptable). The make/model of camera that took the pic is not required, but should be included if known. Camera settings like exposure time, aperture setting and ISO setting would also be nice, but are not required.
4. The plant must have been in the owner's possession for at least 3 months.
5. You must post your country of residence along with your submission.

Submissions can be made by uploading the photo directly to this forum (once the contest starts) or uploading the photo to the community portion of the site (http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous- ... oader.html) and posting a link to them here.

The contest is open for submissions for 10 days, closing the evening of May 26th. After the contest closes for submissions, a poll will be made from all of the submitted photos and every forum member will have one vote for the photo that they like the best. Voting will be open for 3 days, starting the morning of the 27th and ending the morning of the 30th.

Winners will be announced shortly after the contest closes.

Now, for the part you've all been waiting for....the prizes! Top three finishers will receive prizes. If you live in the United States, here are the prizes up for grabs:
Photo Contest Prizes:
1st - Dionaea 'Crimson Sawtooth'
2nd - Nepenthes X Judith Finn
3rd - Dionaea 'Cupped Trap'

For winners in the EU, the prizes will be very generously provided by Carl (mlvc2002) of Shropshire Carnivores and are:
1st - Sarracenia Sx "Diane Whittaker" A very large plant from my collection not my sales plant
2nd - VFT Spider & Heteradoxa
3rd - Pot of D.Spatulata (about 4 plants)

User moof has also graciously donated a nice U.calycifida, flowering size, for the top finisher in Europe regardless of overall place (even if no one in Europe makes the top 3)!

For winners in Canada, the prizes will be very generously provided by Jun (hackerberry) and are:
1st - Cephalotus follicularis
2nd - Sarracenia (Judith Hindle X Purpurea)
3rd - VFT A13 (Giant Form from Czplants)

For winners in other countries, the prizes will be:
1st - Three packets of seeds of your choice from the FlytrapStore
2nd - Two packets of seeds of your choice from the FlytrapStore
3rd - One packet of seeds of your choice from the FlytrapStore
including (if you'd like to wait for it) the Dionaea seed that Steve and I will harvest from our plants this year, most likely available in June sometime.

All plant prizes will ship bare root (not potted and without soil).

I suppose it should be made clear that there are NOT three winners in the US, and three in the EU, and three in Canada and three in other countries. There are three winners total, and if you're one of the three, you can figure out what prize you'll get based on where you live and the prize lists above.

I want to say that I'm very thankful to Peter, Jun and Carl for being willing to donate some seriously awesome prizes to the contest.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask them in this thread. I very much look forward to seeing some awesome photos of carnivorous plants!
By Dooter
Oh, this is a GREAT idea! None of my plants are really worthy of a kick-ass photo yet, but I'm really excited to see all the entries from everyone else!!!
By Matt
Dooter wrote:Oh, this is a GREAT idea! None of my plants are really worthy of a kick-ass photo yet, but I'm really excited to see all the entries from everyone else!!!
We're going to run the contest at least 3 times a year because we realize that not everyone's plants look all that great yet this early in the year, so don't feel too discouraged :). We're thinking of running another one mid-summer when everyone's plants should look great. Then another one in the fall to get some awesome fall colors of Dionaea and some of the fall pitchers of Sarracenia (usually the best pitchers for some species). And then maybe one sometime during the winter. We'll see how it goes for this first contest, how people like it, the level of participation we get, etc. and go from there.

Regardless, I too am excited to see the photos people submit!
By Ronnie
Soo, we can post as many pictures as we like.. But only one is aloud to be submitted?
So we can fight with ourselves which one to submit? instead of fighting which one to post :D

Ron
By Matt
Ronnie wrote:Soo, we can post as many pictures as we like.. But only one is aloud to be submitted?
So we can fight with ourselves which one to submit? instead of fighting which one to post :D

Ron
Yes, one submission per person per contest (which is submitted to the official photo contest threat that hasn't been created yet), but, as always, you can post as many photos to the site as you like.
By woowoo
So Sad i can not join in i not had my plants the full three months :(

Good to see you be doing anothers in the year.

But about the rules you say one photo but can you have more than one plant in the photo??

Great idea, looking forward to see results :D
By Matt
Update 5-18: moof has graciously donated a nice U.calycifida, flowering size, to the contest to be given to the overall highest finisher in Europe regardless of their place in the contest (i.e. even if no one from Europe is in the top 3, the top European finisher wins the plant).

Another rule was also added. You must specify your country of residence along with your submitted photo.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!