FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Perla Adams
Hello:

As some of you know, I live in Saudi Arabia. I know that Venus Fly Traps stores in USA do not ship the plants outside United States, so my only option is order plants to Europe. I found a online store where I can order a beginner set ( 10 Venus Fly Traps).

One of my husband’s colleague travels back and forth between Saudi and Holland, so I have the option to send the plants to him.
In the European online stores said that the plants can survive 10 days delivery time.

My question is: Do you think the plants really can survive many days in the mail? The set cost Euros 30.00 + shipping, so it is expensive. I need investigate very well if it is really I good investment, I do not want lost the money and broke our illusion about have a Venus Fly Trap.

I will continue trying with seeds (my tissue culture form a test tube Venus Fly trap was failure), I have seed in peat mass and in vitro but still not signals of life.

Thank you
By Matt
I can't comment personally about any stores in the EU, but I know that one of our members here (mlvc2002 - real name is Carl) runs a small online CP store and his plants have gotten good reviews.

As far as delivery time, 10 days in the mail is very doable for flytraps. I think they can last up to a month without too many problems. But the quicker they're out of the box, the less shock they'll experience.
Perla Adams wrote:my tissue culture form a test tube Venus Fly trap was failure
:( Sorry to hear that.
Matt liked this
By Steve_D
Just give the seeds some warmth (but not in direct sun if covered), keep them moist enough to germinate, and be patient. :) Here are some Dionaea seedlings I sowed on April 1 of this year. They began to germinate about 13 days later (15-25 or more is more usual, 10 days is possible with adequate warmth).
dionaea-seedlings.jpg
dionaea-seedlings.jpg (236.15 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
dionaea-seedlings2.jpg
dionaea-seedlings2.jpg (127.69 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
Steve_D liked this
By Perla Adams
Hello Steve:
Thank you for give me some hope.

I was feeling very disappointed today after throw away the tissue culture. My first try with seeds was a big failure too , I did everything wrong in that time, but even so I know that I can do the things better now, still I am carry the stress of this past two months.

Right I have 10 seed in MS Media (I placed the seeds on April 30, not contamination so far but also not signal of germination). I have 9 seeds in peat moss and silica sand (but I am not 100% sure it is silica sand) and I have 11 seed still in the refrigerator. I have more coming in the mail plus I am planning to buy more in the flytrapstore.

I am planning to buy Perlite online, just to be sure I have the right stuff, I do not want lost more seeds, it is very sad see a plant die.

Again, thank you for your show me your photos, they baby fly trap looks beautiful.

Blessings
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!