FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By elboberto7
What type of pitcher or tropical pitcher plant should I get? I live in central California with low humidity and 100-105 temperature in summer, low 40s in winter.

Thanks in advance!
By manzano167
hi i live in South California too in East LA but way to the east ok lol But for you question i say that all pitcher plants are good for you but for tropical pitcher plants just the Easy highland only unless you have a terraruim with everything ready for lowlanders but thats for experts only oh and Every Venus Fly-Traps does good too
By ikauga
You should get a Sarracenia Flava
Ive read in a book they like high summer temps and they go dormant

By Veronis
ikauga wrote:You should get a Sarracenia Flava
Sarracenia is an American pitcher plant; Boberto is asking about nepenthes/Asian ones. I know you know that, so that's what you get for just skimming posts before smacking the Submit button. :P hehe

Tropical pitchers generally require higher humidity in order to keep making pitchers, but a few of the ones that are most likely to adapt fine to lower humidity are Nepenthes sanguinea, ventricosa, x ventrata, and alata. Pick up whichever one you like best. They're all easy growers.
By ModeratelyExcessive
Veronis wrote:
Sarracenia is an American pitcher plant; Boberto is asking about nepenthes/Asian ones. I know you know that, so that's what you get for just skimming posts before smacking the Submit button. :P hehe

Tropical pitchers generally require higher humidity in order to keep making pitchers, but a few of the ones that are most likely to adapt fine to lower humidity are Nepenthes sanguinea, ventricosa, x ventrata, and alata. Pick up whichever one you like best. They're all easy growers.
Actually he asked
What type of pitcher or tropical pitcher plant should I get?
So you're both kinda right. ;)
By ikauga
Thanks Mia for confirmation!

Ontopic: I recommend N.Ventricosa I have one and its pitchering in the Cali weather! :D

By elboberto7
Thanks for the feedback!

Where would be a reliable place to get a Sarracenia Flava? Or any pitcher plant I cant find here for that matter. :)
By Veronis
ModeratelyExcessive wrote:
Veronis wrote:

Actually he asked
What type of pitcher or tropical pitcher plant should I get?
So you're both kinda right. ;)
lol

I am ashamed.

I generally get my Sarrs from here, http://www.flytraps.com/scripts/prodLis ... ategory=17 (he has TONS of Sarrs for sale), http://www.californiacarnivores.com/, and http://www.flytrapshop.com. I also second ikauga's note on http://www.cobraplant.com - those guys know Sarrs better than anyone.

For American Pitcher Plants, the following are all very nice looking hybrids:
S. 'Judith Hindle'
S. x catesbaei
S. leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek'
S. oreophila x leucophylla
S. x [alata red throat x flava]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!