FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By woowoo
I have have my Utricularia longifolia for over 4 weeks and NOTHING. Even the leaves are not growing. some are starting to brown but more like little dry spots very faint :(

I have it on a window sill and give it deionised water and water from above, do not leave it in water only what's runs through and mist daily morning afternoon with same water it grows beside my other plants Nepenthes x ventrata and VFTs and Cephalotus follicularis and some herbs.

Anyone have any tips on how to encourage this plant to grow?

I don't have a terrarium but was told that it was not needed.

By moof
It doesn't need a terrarium, but humidity is good for this species. What's the light it gets? They don't like growing in full sun. You should keep it in water, the pot up to half-submerged in water. After a couple of weeks, when the water evaporates, you can add some more again. Mist it as often as you want.
By woowoo
Just sun light thinking about moving it to the bathroom it spends most time in my kitchen. but do move it to living room to get bit more sun.

Will try the water more submerged just was told not to do this by sellers,just to keep damp and not to stand in water, there is hardly anything on line about this plant could just be looking in wrong place.

Well there is but not what iam looking for how to get it to flower.

Do you own any your self?

You got any favs?

Any hints and tips on Cephalotus follicularis and Nepenthes x ventrata, VFTs are doing good worred about the winter though i know that i bit away but they died last year as it was such a cold winter we had compared to what we used to?

By moof
Well I've got some utrics. Try adding some water, like one inch and keep such level for a couple of days. I think you'll se the difference. What's the substrate you keep it in? It's an epiphytic species so it's supposed to grow in LFS. It's the easiest epiphytic utric I think, but most of them do well when kept in cool places. But there's no problem for U.longifolia to flower in "room conditions".
By Veronis
I have U. sandersonnii and U. livida, and neither of them will grow properly unless the soil is permanently soaked, soaked, soaked.

I keep the tray water level about an inch below the soil surface on a 4-inch tall pot and they are both thriving. They live under a strong fluorescent light on a 15 hour cycle. Start with moof's suggestion about water level. If you're still not happy with the results, try mine on. Just be sure to water empty the tray every few days; otherwise you'll quickly get an algae buildup since you aren't letting the tray dry out before refilling it.

Utrics are used to being overshadowed by other plants. Full sun with a 35% or so shade cover of some kind would probably no go amiss, or a bright window sill that only gets a couple hours of direct sun per day.
Veronis liked this
By moof
Yes you're right but epiphytic utrics have to be watered in a slightly other way. But I think longifolia will be OK, that's an easy species. I keep mine with water level reaching half of the pot's height
moof liked this
By woowoo
moof wrote:Well I've got some utrics. Try adding some water, like one inch and keep such level for a couple of days. I think you'll se the difference. What's the substrate you keep it in? It's an epiphytic species so it's supposed to grow in LFS. It's the easiest epiphytic utric I think, but most of them do well when kept in cool places. But there's no problem for U.longifolia to flower in "room conditions".

Ok i have upped the water will see what happens, any special water iam using deionized.
By kayaker78
Hi, de-ionized water is ok, but distilled water is usually much better and will help reduce problems with algae. Most home de-ionizers, are not true de-ionizers, they are simply exchanging some ions for others.

What are you using for substrate? I think that you will find that U. longifolia will appear to grow very slowly at first but is in fact growing relatively quickly below the soil level. I would not even be surprised if the “leaves” that are on the plant stop growing and eventually die. Those “leaves” are conditioned to the environment that they originally grew in and are probably pretty stressed from shipping. Once the underground growth has begun to fill the pot you will see more above ground growth.

I would definitely consider using a tray to keep your plant in standing water as in its habitat; it grows in wet ground, often with sphagnum. U. longifolia is a terrestrial plant, not an epiphyte. Some clones grow well in a saturated medium, some may prefer dryer conditions. If the grower you obtained the plant from said not to stand it in water, I would assume it is a clone that prefers dryer conditions.

You may find that it is difficult to get this species to flower, the ease of flowering will vary depending on what clone you have.
kayaker78 liked this
By RL7836
If you follow the instructions from Moof & the others, your plant should do well (U. longifolia is normally a real weed in most conditions - it likes to grow!). You've got a good shot at some flowers next spring if you grow it on your windowsill & let it get quite potbound (all 3 of my pots bloomed this year - they appear to like seasonal photoperiod clues...).

Best of luck with your plants.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!