FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By moof
Hi,
I'm waiting for U.geminiloba, and couldn't find any info on the net about the cultivation. Maybe someone here has got it? Or links to such informations? I'm also searching for growing experiences with U.nelumbifolia and U.humboldtii:)
By kayaker78
U.geminiloba, should be rather easy to grow using the same methods used for other simular species. Taylor indicated that it grows mainly on wet rocks but also in sphagnum bogs. Cooler temps may help as it generally grows from 750 to 1500 m alt.
By moof
I tried to figure out what's wrong because it didn't grow well and a friend told me that geminiloba is a rather problematic species. I kept it in a cooled terrarium, temps 20 degrees celsius at day and 15 at night - it was developing lots of leaves but they had numerous necrosis on them, despite good lighting, humidity, etc. I gave the plant to my friend yesterday, we'll see if it'll grow better under his conditions.
By kayaker78
Maybe more air circulation or less humidity would have helped?
By moof
I'll sure give them another try soon, at the moment I'm rearranging the terrarium. They've got good air circulation, and the humidity is good I think as U.praetermissa, quelchii and others are doing well
By RL7836
moof wrote: I'm also searching for growing experiences with U.nelumbifolia and U.humboldtii:)
I've grown these with several different approaches over the last year or so:

- 100% LFS in net pot suspended over pool of water
- 100% LFS in normal pot with zero to 2 cm of water in tray
- peat-based media mix in net pot suspended over pool of water ***
- peat-based media mix in regular pot kept moist

*** This approach has almost killed the U. humboldtii. U. nelumbifolia has done ok with this approach but probably not as well as with live LFS. The three other approaches have all produced strong plants (so far).

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences...
By moof
I actually keep my U.humboldtii in pure LFS. I kept it in a LFS-peat mix and It didn't like it. But now it's recovering nicely, he puts out new leaves and stolons. Constantly 2cm of water.

I didn't get U.nelumbifolia, the guy changed his mind about trade:)

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!