FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
So I got a plant from Bob Ziemer that looks very similar to Dracula. Here's a shot of Dracula:
And here's the plant that I have which is a Jaws X Petite Dragon offspring from seed:
Dracula2.jpg
Dracula2.jpg (61.75 KiB) Viewed 7863 times
Dracula2_1.jpg
Dracula2_1.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 7863 times
Dracula2_3.jpg
Dracula2_3.jpg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 7863 times
It's not identical, but there are some similarities, huh? The biggest difference I see is that teeth on Dracula look a bit more sawtooth like whereas the plant I have is more Dente like.
By lemonlily
I'd say the colour is a little different. Which is not surprising, as every trap on the same plant can have different colours. And the teeth are a little different too. On the second picture, the plant you have, what's that nubby thing on the stem?

LOL, but I can tell in the first and second picture of your plant, it is the same trap. It made me think your plant only had one trap. Silly me.

Well it seems like the same trap, at least.
By Veronis
Huh...so if you cross pollinate cultivars and plant the seeds sometimes you can get crazy looking VFT's?

I always thought if you did that you'd just get seeds that would always grow typicals. Whoops..
By Matt
Veronis wrote:Huh...so if you cross pollinate cultivars and plant the seeds sometimes you can get crazy looking VFT's?
Yep, you can.
Veronis wrote:I always thought if you did that you'd just get seeds that would always grow typicals. Whoops..
In my experience, it seems that most plants from seed have nothing spectacular about them. However, the dente trait seems to be relatively easily inherited as does the gene for being red. I've not done much with Cupped Trap or Fused Tooth seed to know if those traits are also easily inherited. I'm guessing the Fused Tooth trait might be, but I doubt that the Cupped Trap trait is.

I think Steve_D sums up what you can expect when growing flytraps from seed best on his site:
When growing Venus Flytraps from seed, it is important to understand that while they may be the descendants of outstanding plants, seed-grown Venus Flytraps can exhibit a wide variety of genetic characteristics and not necessarily the characteristics for which their parents were named or valued. However, like all living things with a diverse genetic makeup, while most may seem ordinary, each is unique and a few may grow up to be truly extraordinary. :-)
In my opinion, the plant in the photos above is one of the ones that is extraordinary.
By branpera
I think I have a new favorite cultivar or clone witch ever one it is. Very cool photos Matt, not just this one but all the ones you have recently uploaded, cupped traps, wacky traps, holand red, and can't breath.
By nesler
Are you going to TC that bad boy? That plant is absolutely gorgeous.
By linton
Looks like a nice plant Matt it has some very interesting characteristics when compared to 'Dracula'. Dracula is a result of crossing G14 & Dentate.
By Matt
nesler wrote:Are you going to TC that bad boy? That plant is absolutely gorgeous.
Yeah, I'll try to get it going in TC next year. Hopefully it sends up a flower stalk, but if not, I've been having pretty good luck with leaves lately. I just got Fused Tooth going from a leaf!
linton wrote:Looks like a nice plant Matt it has some very interesting characteristics when compared to 'Dracula'. Dracula is a result of crossing G14 & Dentate.
Thanks for that information linton! I didn't know what Dracula's ancestry was. I have both G14 and Dentate in my collection. I may have to try crossing them if the G14 flowers next year.
By carnivorous
I totally agree, it's beautiful, with that nice coloration and different Dente characteristics.

"Dracula" was on top of my wish list, but after seeing Matt's version, this is also included in my cultivar wish list.

Please include me on the waiting list whenever this goes on sale on FTS. :)
By moof
Awesome plant Matt, congrats on getting it!
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!