FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By tommy_pace
so i read that terrariums are bad for VTFs. other than germination of vtfs is there something i can grow in my terrarium year round? like have few permanent plants in there? sorry if this is a stupid question..i am brand new to carnivorous plants, and to this forum! oh and btw...im tommy :) nice to meet u all
By Aging_Bourbon
Hello Tommy and welcome too Flytrapcare!
tommy_pace wrote:so i read that terrariums are bad for VTFs. other than germination of vtfs
Yes, you've read right.
tommy_pace wrote:is there something i can grow in my terrarium year round? like have few permanent plants in there?
Hmm I've really never grown anything in a terrarium before but I know a few Nepenthes and Heli can.
tommy_pace wrote:i am brand new to carnivorous plants, and to this forum!
Stick around tommy you got a lot too learn! :)

btw, if you have anymore questions feel free too ask! for other information on care please feel free too read around the main site and forum.

Allen,
Aging_Bourbon liked this
By tommy_pace
Thanks! this is a very neat site...and i have just discovered how much fun it is to grow carnivorous plants so i am totally wrapped up in it right now :)
and thanks for the answers!
By Veronis
Sundew (Drosera) are great terrarium carnivorous plants, especially for beginners. Asian pitcher plants (Nepenthes) are slightly more advanced and can be more difficult to grow well depending on how well you can control your temps, plus many nepenthes outgrow terrariums quickly. Sun pitchers (Heliamphora) are a step above nepenthes in terms of difficulty.

Mexican butterworts (pinguicula) also like higher humidity, but you have to drop that humidity to 50/60% during winter or they may rot. This may be a problem in a terrarium, as controlling exact humidity levels can be a daunting task.

I'd think your best bet is tropical and subtropical sundew:

Drosera capensis, spatulata, natalensis/venusta, adelae (though adelae can be finicky), aliciae, prolifera, paradoxa, sessifolia (annual), or burmannii (annual) would be good starts.

Capensis is the most popular/common of these and the leaves will actually wrap around their prey in a couple hours. The annuals are slightly more difficult because they start out so small they can be hard to feed; use crushed freeze-dried-bloodworm which you can get at any pet store. Bigger drosera do very well with betta fish pellets as food. Both of these smell a lot better than half-decayed insects.

Here's a great resource for sundew: http://www.growsundews.com/ (here are specifics about feeding)
A fun drosera project for you to try later on, if you do decide to get any sundew for your terrarium: http://www.thecps.org.uk/content/view/87/40/

Good luck :)
By tommy_pace
thank you! i have one more question...i wanted to make a small aquarium into a terrarium to germinate some VFTs..but it occured to me that an aquarium obviously have no drainage holes. how would this work? do i fill the bottom of the tank with 50:50 peat and pearlite and just be really careful not to over water?
By tommy_pace
or what would be better to germinate in? i have about 25 seeds.
By Ronnie
A microwavable dish that a chinese meal would come in.. Soil, seeds and lid on..
Or, paper cup with cling film over it..
Or, soil and seeds in a normal pot.. Cut the top of a juice bottle off and take the cap off.. Stick the top of the bottle onto the pot..

Or, anyother way that will give high humidity..

Ron.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!