FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By dmcelhannon
I had flies in the kitchen this morning so moved all six of my fly traps to the window where the flies were. Two hours later, I checked on my unwanted guess. They were not only still in the window but they were feeding inside the traps. I moved the fly traps, killed the flies myself, and then got my plastic tweezers. I tried to manual feed the plants and not one of the traps worked. So is there a nation fly trap holiday that I am unaware of for today’s date.

:?:
By moof
Sometimes traps won't close, especially when they're "old" ones. That's normal, the next traps will close without problems.
By dmcelhannon
moof wrote:Sometimes traps won't close, especially when they're "old" ones. That's normal, the next traps will close without problems.
I understand about the older traps but two of my six plants are new. I do have a number of new stems growing. When the traps are old and no longer working should you pull them off or just leave them as a funny looking leaf?
dmcelhannon liked this
By Steve_D
What kind of water are you using for your Flytraps? A buildup of dissolved minerals in the growing medium and in the plants can cause salt burn, stunting and cause the traps to lose their sensitivity. Other than that, it may be because the traps are old or have already closed the maximum number of times they can close.

Don't cut off older traps that don't close anymore. They still continue to photosynthesize and produce food for the plant from sunlight. It's better to trim off only blackened dead or dry parts of the leaves. :)
By dmcelhannon
Steve_D wrote:What kind of water are you using for your Flytraps? .....
I've been using two store brands. If I'm at HEB or Walgreens I get their store brand but both are Distilled Water. Both are distilled from steam, micron filtered, and ozonated/UV treated.
Steve_D wrote:Don't cut off older traps that don't close anymore. ...... :)
I haven't pulled any but I've been at a loss to do next. I was just wondering if pulling the traps would help generate more growth and more traps.

:D
By Steve_D
dmcelhannon wrote:I was just wondering if pulling the traps would help generate more growth and more traps.
Because Venus Flytraps live in very poor soil and get most of their food from photosynthesis and insects, it's not a good idea to cut down on their food supply by trimming off good leaves or leaf parts that are actively making food for the plant.

Just be patient, give the plant plenty of light, keep it moist but don't overwater it nor keep it wet all the time, and watch the new growth as it emerges. Venus Flytraps, especially those that are recently purchased or recently transplanted, often grow slowly at first for up to 6 weeks or so as they become comfortable and adapted to their new (and hopefully improved) growing conditions. :)
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!