FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
Here is a seedling growing through the layer of algae that has started to grow in the LFS. I'm guessing this must happen in nature as well. Hope the little guy makes it!
IMG_4016.JPG
IMG_4016.JPG (46.79 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
Adam
By linton
Looks like it has broken through just fine - the rest of the growth should follow through the same "hole". I have only ever had the slime problem when using long fiber sphagnum, so I have switched to using the same peat/sand mix for germinating my seeds and have not had a problem since.
By Matt
When I grow in my terrarium, I get a little bit of the green slime on peat as well, but as Linton said, it's far worse on long fibered sphagnum moss. I've also noticed that seedling growth seems to be stunted by the algae. If possible, you might want to transplant that one Adam. It looks like a pretty strong grower!
By linton
Algae will grow whenever conditions are favourable to it, which is often when a surplus of dissolved nutrients, in particular chelated iron and soluble phosphates are available. It would be interesting to see if you get the same algae growth with a different brand of moss.
By Adam
I've now removed the cover so humidity is going to drop. At the same time, I've removed all the lfs from the top of the peat-sand mix. I've also moved the light further away from the plants as too much heat was drying out the top of the soil. The tinfoil sides make it still bright enough. I'll see how the seedlings and pullings respond to the new conditions.

Adam
By Adam
It's been a while now with no cover and less water. The ill looking plants are not looking any more ill, so at least the change did not hurt them. In fact, the catch tray completely dried out during my time away from home this weekend. None of the plants looked like they suffered.
Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!