FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By alex2751
My VFT's seem to be finally waking up. Only one having troubles for no reason is my FTS Crimson. Both of other VFT's, B52 and Big Jaws are starting to put flower stalks.

B52

Big Jaws

On left is plant from FlyTrap Care, Big Jaws

FTS Crimson
By alex2751
All of the young leaves are turning brown and than black. It's hard to see on the photo.
By 95slvrZ28
My FTS Crimson is looking similar. All the leaves on one side (I assume the side what was on the bottom of the box when shipped) appear to be slowly dieing. I'm not too worried as I have some new growth. Thus far this plant appears to be a pretty slow plant. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, the plant still appears to have a reasonable amount of healthy leaves.
By Matt
Your plants look great!

The FTS Crimson Sawtooth was under fluorescent lights on a 16 hour photo period. If you're giving it natural light now, the decreased photo period has confused it and it's probably showing some signs of dormancy (browning leaves, slow growth, etc.). When the days lengthen, it should pick up growth again.
By alex2751
My Big Jaws captured a first fly but for some reason trap got dented where is the head of fly. I would post a picture tomorrow.
By Steve_D
Red Venus Flytraps will benefit from and grow faster in more or brighter sunlight. :)
By alex2751
New two photos with trap closed
Attachments:
bug2.jpg
bug2.jpg (360.69 KiB) Viewed 5508 times
bug1.jpg
bug1.jpg (432.24 KiB) Viewed 5508 times
By alex2751
I was reading somewhere that some of VFT cultivars are not producing seeds. Could be wrong though.
By Matt
alex2751 wrote:I was reading somewhere that some of VFT cultivars are not producing seeds. Could be wrong though.
I think what you probably read was that cultivars can't be reproduced through seeds. Most cultivars need to be reproduced through vegetative multiplication in order to preserve any characteristics of that particular clone. If you get seeds from a cultivar, while it might have some of the characteristics of its parents, it will be genetically different than the parent and therefore likely not have the traits that the cultivar was registered for.

However, all flytrap cultivars can produce seeds, except perhaps 'Wacky Traps'. It seems to have a deformed stigma and is unable to be pollinated (at least no one has successfully pollinated it to my knowledge). Also, I've not gotten seeds from a 'Cupped Trap' plant yet either.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!