FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nanamo
Hi,

I've just ordered my first Venus Fly Trap, and I'm slightly concerned because I live in a generally dry, low-humidity area. I know that Venus Fly Trap's tend to flourish best in a high humidity environment, but are there some ways I can compensate? I saw some people mention terrariums, but I'd rather not go down that route if possible. I've also heard varying accounts regarding keeping it in a dish of standing water as a substitute, or misting it with a spray bottle occasionally. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!
By 95slvrZ28
That's actually a common misconception. VFTs can do in a fine in a dry environment. Problems can arise if you take them from a very moist environment to a very hot and dry environment, but the plants will usually recover from that sort of treatment as well. I'm not sure where you're located, but where I live is pretty dry all year around. I grow my plants inside mostly because I don't have a decent place to grow them outside, but Matt (the founder/Admin of this forum) used to live in my area and he did all of his growing outside. As long as you keep the potting medium moist (not wet) you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
By Steve_D
Venus Flytraps can adapt well to climates with low humidity such as where I live, in eastern New Mexico, US. However, if the plants are used to high humidity, it's better to grow them in slightly shadier conditions for a while, so that the plant can acclimate slowly as it grows new leaves that are adapted to the humidity level.

If your region has very strong, dry winds in the summer, then it is best to protect the Flytraps from that extreme because they may dry out faster than the roots can keep the plant hydrated. But that applies only to fairly extreme weather: very hot, very dry, in full direct sunlight with a very brisk wind. Often keeping the plants sitting in water in such conditions will help the plant to keep its leaves moist enough, but try not to keep the plants sitting in water all the time: only when they need it because of the hot, dry conditions mentioned above.

Good luck,
Steve

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!