FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
I just read a post on the ICPS forum that linked to a post on Terraforums that linked to a post on Orchidboard.com. This sounds like a cool idea and method for eliminating pests, including aphids. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it before or even heard of it:
http://www.orchidboard.com/node/5
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=120402

Basically you buy some dry ice and melt it in an enclosed area with the plant (like a terrarium or a plastic storage bin) and the resulting lack of oxygen kills most pests, though perhaps not mites. Sounds quite interesting and ingenious.
Matt, Matt liked this
By kevinqwe
that stuff is really cool
By 95slvrZ28
Hmm, that seems like a pretty neat idea. Although photosynthesis from the plant is going to start making oxygen, it's probably not significant compared to that of the CO2. You have a lot of plants, let us know how it works out ;)
By kittyklaws
Interesting :)
By moof
Well sounds interesting but we tried once in Poland placing some VFT's in an enclosed terrarium and raising the level of CO2 inside for better growth, the plants lost all it's leaves and were doing bad
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:I just read a post on the ICPS forum that linked to a post on Terraforums that linked to a post on Orchidboard.com. This sounds like a cool idea and method for eliminating pests, including aphids. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it before or even heard of it:
Basically you buy some dry ice and melt it in an enclosed area with the plant (like a terrarium or a plastic storage bin) and the resulting lack of oxygen kills most pests, though perhaps not mites. Sounds quite interesting and ingenious.
You know-- We've been using dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide) for years now to kill any insects that may be in rice and dry beans when we place them in containers for long-term storage. It works great in enclosed areas.

I have never thought about using the same process for pests on plants and in growing media. It's a great idea for experimentation. A person could place a chunk of dry ice on a plastic cup lid or something, place that on top of the growing medium but away from the leaves of the plant(s), then enclose it all in a plastic bag for a while. I wonder how long it would take to kill the insects, and I wonder if this would work on spider mites.

Very interesting idea. Thanks for mentioning it, Matt.
By 95slvrZ28
Theoretically it would work on anything that needs undergoes aerobic cellular respiration, it would just be a matter of time. I guess I don't know that much about spider mites, but if they need to breath oxygen to live it will get them eventually...I guess this also assumes that the oxygen the plant produces isn't in great enough concentrations to support the mites.
By afh928
hmmm...sounds very interesting. Anyone wanna guinea pig this one? If nobody else does i suppose i could sacrifice a plant or two in the name of scientific advancement, lol. ;)
By Aging_Bourbon
afh928 wrote:scientific advancement, lol. ;)
:lol:
By Lawndude84
man if my capes still had Aphids I would have tried this :lol:
By 95slvrZ28
If mine get any sort of infestation I'll be happy to try it out, but we're going to hope I don't have to try it *crosses fingers*
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:If mine get any sort of infestation I'll be happy to try it out, but we're going to hope I don't have to try it *crosses fingers*
Yes, hopefully you won't have to try it, but watch out for mites in Boulder. They love that dry summer air.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!