FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By tejan24
take a look at the rhizome on this typical i got from steve last year. i just took this one out of the fridge after 12 weeks. i'm glade it has no mold and come out ok.
Attachments:
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG (44.92 KiB) Viewed 15007 times
tejan24, tejan24, tejan24 liked this
By 95slvrZ28
...Wow, that thing is massive.
By Aging_Bourbon
Wow... I'm speechless
By grant
impressive :)
By Matt
manzano167 wrote:oh ok hmm i wonder what are his secrets on keeping VFTs?
No secrets really. He just does everything right; lots of sun, deep insulated pots, clean water, sprays for pests, etc. He also is very in tune with his plants and their needs, which I think is the major reason his plants are so incredible.
Matt liked this
By Adam
He also extends the growing season and tries to make sure the plants keep as many leaves over the winter dormancy. This gives them a boost in growth. My early wake up call to my plants is my experiment with this.

Last year, I let them come out of dormancy naturally and outside. They ended up flowering and by the time that seed was produced, it was well into May and June. This didn't leave many more months for the plants to grow bigger. So this year, they are already almost opening up their flowers. If they are pollinated in 10 days, I could collect seed before April starts. This leaves all of May, June, July and August for 4 months of great growing conditions without any demands to produce seed.
Adam liked this
By Ronnie
Wow, how old is that plant?
Nice growing steve!
Ronnie liked this
By Steve_D
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. Great looking plant, Tejan24! It looks in really good shape to begin the growing season. :)

My secrets? What Matt and Adam said. :)

Venus Flytrap Checklist
  • Moist, not wet (water thoroughly and then allow to dry out substantially before watering again); although some people seem to have good luck with conditions that are wetter or more constantly wet, this "moist, not wet" method is simply the way I personally prefer. Watering from the top or the bottom are both OK, so long as one rememembers that when watering from the top, there are some conditions (such as increased risk of fungal infection or rot) to avoid the growing crown (the center of the rosette) and that a turkey baster or some other method can help direct water around the plant instead of on it; and if usually watering from the bottom, it is helpful to occasionally water from the top and then discard the drain water, to leach out of the growing medium any built-up accumulation of dissolved solids (TDS). I never keep them standing in a tray of water except for sometimes when they are outside on a hot day with intense sun and perhaps some rather strong, drying wind; when I water from the bottom I will let them stand in water until the growing medium sucks up as much as it can (in 30 minutes to a few hours), then remove them from the water or remove the water from the tray.
  • Drier medium when the temperature is cool or cold, like during dormancy, to help prevent rot (hot, sunny and wet is usually OK; cold and wet is usually not OK)
  • Deep pots; Venus Flytraps' roots like to go down 8-10 inches or more, 5-6 inches at least; and well-rooted Flytraps are very robust in health and growth.
  • Don't let the sides of the pots and growing medium overheat in the sun and damage the roots; insulated polyurethane foam pots or cheap styrofoam cups work great; as an alternative, white or light-colored plastic or vitreous ceramic (vitreous means nonporous, waterproof) reflects sunlight and helps a lot; pots can also be nested one inside another or shaded somehow; small pots are more susceptible to rapid overheating in direct sunlight, so planting several plants in a larger pot (6-10 inches diameter (15-25 centimeters)) helps a lot to buffer the soil temperature
  • Sunlight, and lots of it! (but acclimate new plants gently to sunlight)
  • Pure water, as everyone knows; collected rainwater, distilled water or reverse osmosis water (test periodically with a TDS meter to make sure the RO membrane is working well)
  • Long dormancy is not necessary; 11-14 weeks (almost 3 to 3.5 months) of dormancy is plenty; keep them warmer as the fall weather becomes cold (by bringing them inside) until they signal that they want to enter dormancy by slowing their growth dramatically; if kept cool and on the dry side during dormancy (just moist) and with a more consistent temperature (or more gentle temperature variation) than they would experience when going through dormancy outside, they will often break dormancy and begin to grow again in 3-3.5 months, or can be encouraged to do so by raising the temperature of their growing environment somewhat as the days become longer and the sunlight more intense after the winter solstice. In this way, as Adam mentioned, their growing season can be lengthened by at least a few weeks on both sides of dormancy.
  • Very cold dormancy is not necessary; it doesn't have to be very cold, and it's better not to allow Venus Flytraps to freeze; this way their leaves don't die and they continue to photosynthesize all winter during dormancy and build up a nice food supply for their first burst of growth in the spring. In fact, if the leaves don't freeze they often last for a good portion of the following growing season, giving the plant a real boost. The 40s to mid 50s Fahrenheit (4-15 celsius) is cool enough, and it's OK for daytime temperatures to rise into the 60 and even 70s on up to 80 (briefly) for a few hours, so long as most or at least many of the hours of the day the temperature is cool to cold, but above freezing.
Pest Control
As Matt mentioned, it's good to have an arsenal of several pesticides. I usually have on hand a good systemic insecticide (acephate (used to be called Orthene) is what I use most), a miticide, and an antifungal. The antifungal won't be needed much if plants are not kept too wet (especially, too wet when they are also cold), and are not grown in confining spaces such as a terrarium which can concentrate fungal spores. Although a systemic insecticide, which poisons the entire plant (it doesn't harm the plant, but only the insects that eat or suck the juices from the plant) also works on spider mites, it is much more effective to use a superficial miticide as well, one that stays on the surfaces of the leaves, in combination with a systemic. Spider mites may be almost microscopic but they are astonishingly destructive and multiply almost as though by magic; really scary, so be on the lookout for them. Other common pests include scale (which love Cephalotus and Sarracenia) and aphids, and sometimes mealy bugs, thrips and others. The systemic poison usually kills them all fairly rapidly (except spider mites, which are easier to kill using a specialized miticide as well), but it's best to examine the plants regularly so that one becomes aware of any changes that might indicate an insect problem.

Steve
Steve_D, Steve_D, Steve_D and 63 others liked this
By Adam
Thanks Steve! I'm not sure if I'll extend the latter part of the growing season.. I might.. but I think I took them out REALLY early. They were in that sunny window on Dec 20th :D
By Ronnie
Thanks steve, some great advice their!!
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!