FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By tonge50
My bare root order from FlyTrapCare is on its way :D I ordered two each of the Dionaea cultivars: Cupped-Trap and Big Jaws. I was out shopping for pots today and came across these beautiful, little 4" glazed pots imported from Mexico (Maceta Vaso #4).
  • ImageImage
The price was marked at $9.99, which seemed a bit too high to me. I have been using the 4" glazed pots by NorCal that I can usually find at Home Depot for under $4. They are fully glazed and come in a variety of 'electric' colors.
I searched all my usual places and couldn't find any. I finally went to a store location way out of my area and found the four pots that I need for my order. The only color they had was Pink :lol: I should have bought those really nice Mexican pots ;)
By kittyklaws
manzano167 wrote:Party foam cups are way better plus their cheap in 99 cents in a pack of 10 maybe
Their called Styrfoam cups
16 oz styrofoam cups come in a 20 pack at dollar tree. Supposed to keep the roots insulated better. BUT... those cute little mexican pots look wayy awesomer :D Oh and Congrats on the order!
By tonge50
I agree that foam cups are cheaper and probably insulate the roots better, but I just like my traps to be showy :) Here is a picture of one of my colorful VFTs in its pot. Click on image for larger view ;)
A tray full of foam cups just wouldn't be the same, unless they were full of beer :D
By 95slvrZ28
Nice looking plants!

I have a couple of "nice" pots. Then I realized how cheap foam cups were :D
By tonge50
I got my (pink) pots prepared and soaking in a tray of rain water. Now I'm just waiting on the mail :)
  • Image Image Image
If you put carnivorous plants in pink pots they will grow up to be big and tough :lol:
By tonge50
My bare root order arrived yesterday :D I got them planted in their (pink) pots, but it was getting late and I didn't get a chance to take pictures. I am busy today at school assisting in the Cisco lab and won't get home for another couple of hours. I saw that alex2751 got his order too :) The Crimson Sawtooth is really beautiful :mrgreen:
By kittyklaws
Congrats on your order! Can't wait to see pics :D
By alex2751
tonge50 wrote:My bare root order arrived yesterday :D I got them planted in their (pink) pots, but it was getting late and I didn't get a chance to take pictures. I am busy today at school assisting in the Cisco lab and won't get home for another couple of hours. I saw that alex2751 got his order too :) The Crimson Sawtooth is really beautiful :mrgreen:
Thanks Tonge. Can't wait to see your photos. My Crimson is waking up so I guess soon would take new photos.
By Gil
You don't have to worry about drainage with foam cups? I was reading that you can wind up with mineral buildup if water can't drain out. :0
By Gil
Sounds hard, but that definitely looks cool.
For the foam-cup people, do you make holes on the bottoms of your cups or anything, or go no-drainage like the poster in that link?
By Adam
Unless you are very familiar with how fast the media dries in what types of weather and sun exposure and how to tell by touch or sight the moisture, I would not recommend no-drainage. Because of the number of typical VFTs I ended up with over 2 years, I was fine with doing this experiment on the 6 or so plants that are in there.
By tonge50
The new Venus flytraps, Big Jaws and Cupped Trap, are enjoying a gentle spring rain :D

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!