FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Aging_Bourbon
where are those black wasps when you need them?!
By alex2751
I have found on one website that they use house detergent to kill aphids but I am not sure how VFT would react to that
By Aging_Bourbon
alex2751 wrote:I have found on one website that they use house detergent to kill aphids but I am not sure how VFT would react to that
that's murder!
By tonge50
Good video clip. Apperently they have experience using ornithine and captane successfully on Venus flytraps. I was just reading a FAQ article at http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3660.htm The use of chemical insecticides is not recomended. I would prefer not to use an insecticide if possible. Would milled diatomaceous earth be effective against aphids without harming the plants? Crushed diatoms are supposed to be like broken glass to soft bodied insects. Does anyone see a problem with dusting the plants with it?
By Aging_Bourbon
Water based Insecticide is ideal
By Adam
Jack and Jeanie (from Hawaiian Botanicals) gave me some dark green crystals that they use. I'll try it out once I see more aphids. They use it on all their plants with no harm. It's not available from stores to the public.
By tonge50
What are those green crystals, Kryptonite? :lol:
By Adam
lol.. ya.. no you dissolve them in water :)
By tonge50
I had started my first tray of VFTs over a year ago. I used a long leaf sphagnum top dressing on each of those pots. Since then then the moss has started to grow. Of the three trays of potted flytraps, the tray with pots that have the top dressing and live moss is the least affected by aphids. I suspect that the moss dressing provides habitat for predatory insects. I have seen several different tiny critters moving around in the moss. I was able to capture an image of a tiny spider hunting on a dead trap (about center of the upper right quadrent). Click on thumbnail to view high res image :D
Through a 20X loupe, the moss looks like a primeval forest :)

My collection is still small enough to controll the aphids manually. I plan to dress all the rest of my pots with sphagnum top dressing. Nature knows best ;)
By kittyklaws
Nice shots! :D
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!