FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By CanadianCephalotus
So a few weeks ago I had mentioned that I was fortunate enough to have the pleasure of finding Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea along with Drosera rotundifolia, D. Anglica in huge numbers at a beautiful bog up in Algonquin park last early July. Being Canadian, I travel to Algonquin park for portage and hiking trips alot during the summer. It was an amazing experience to have found this bog, because it was well hidden and I don't think many people know of it's location/exsistence since there are actually still cp's here. Luckily I also got to see the sarracenia's and drosera's in bloom since I found them at the right time of the year :D ! Well I dug up some photos and thought you'd all enjoy seeing a few! Unfortunately I couldn't find any of the pics I took of the droseras but in some pictures you can see vibrant red borders along the water on the edge/throughout the spaghnum islands... Just know those are cps (drosera ssp.) not red spaghnum :D !

Enjoy!
Attachments:
Beautiful Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea in bloom...
Beautiful Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea in bloom...
5460_118006274991_660279991_3002154_1442408_n[1].jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
I'm checking out a bunch of sundews and pitchers.... Just so amazing and exciting! You get a rush looking at them!!!
I'm checking out a bunch of sundews and pitchers.... Just so amazing and exciting! You get a rush looking at them!!!
5460_118003599991_660279991_3002096_406649_n[1].jpg (59.82 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
Cp Bog!
Cp Bog!
5460_118003584991_660279991_3002094_4999158_n[1].jpg (43.53 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
I'm looking across and I can't believe how many sundews there are! Look at the red spots on the other side of the water.
I'm looking across and I can't believe how many sundews there are! Look at the red spots on the other side of the water.
5460_118000284991_660279991_3002042_5520890_n[1].jpg (47.72 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
By Matt
Awesome photos! Man, seeing those pics made me wish for summer. I didn't get to do much backpacking last summer, so I'm hoping to get out more this summer. Maybe I'll stumble across some bogs too!
By CanadianCephalotus
Thanks guys!
Matt wrote:Awesome photos! Man, seeing those pics made me wish for summer. I didn't get to do much backpacking last summer, so I'm hoping to get out more this summer. Maybe I'll stumble across some bogs too!
Matt, I agree completely! You'll find I'm one of those people in December that goes "Yes I can't wait until spring, only 4 more months!" lol
I'm so optimistic about warm weather and summer it's unreal!

Btw... 2-3 months left!!!! :P
By CanadianCephalotus
Adam wrote:Can you post a google map to the park? awesome photos!
Sorry Adam, but I'm not sure exactly from where you want the directions to start (a map TO the park) so the least I can do is put up a decent map of the park. Unfortunately I don't want to tell everyone exactly where I found these plants because it's so tempting not to take any, trust me and the last thing I'd want is for them to be collected! If your going to the park you can pm me and I can tell you where you can find some.

Thanks again everyone, I went on this trip with my family. I'm planning on driving down myself this summer with a few friends on our own camping trip so I'm deffinately going to check out the same bog and take way more pics this time! The trail you need to go through to get to them is exactly 11km long so have fun! I know I did, especially since I went in early July: aka horseflies and blackflies eat you alive the whole way...My sister was actually crying because the horse flies wouldn't stop buzzing around her and sitting on her head trying to bite :( ... I felt so bad for the little 9 year old. So ya, if you like hiking and love nature go to Algonquin! I saw some mooses (cow and bull in separate locations, some beavers, tones of snapping (huge individuals!) and painted turtles) all on the same trip. In the past I've seen a black bear too, which was really cool!

Sincerely, Dayyan
Attachments:
I added this one so you can see how to get there from alot of the Canadian highways. :)
I added this one so you can see how to get there from alot of the Canadian highways. :)
getthere.gif (28.9 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
Algonquin trail map
Algonquin trail map
2149629566_9580a24b39.jpg (29.28 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!