FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Veronis
Sounds like some kind of nematode, but could be fungus gnat larvae, or even newly hatched earthworms.

What;s the soil mix and what plant(s)?

If you hold a toothpick to one, does it react and maybe even coil around it? Are they very active, or very slow?

And are they only an inch long, or are some longer?

Horsehair worm (a long one):

http://www.ento.okstate.edu/ddd/insects ... rworms.htm

Fungus gnat larvae:

http://www.orkin.com/flies/gnats/fungus-gnat-larvae

Baby earthworms:

If none of these are it, give more information; clear pictures, if you can manage, would help too.
By bombsboy
they are an inch longer, and look like earth worm babies. the soil mix was shagnum peat moss. i think it is eartyhworm babies. are those bad for my plants?
By Veronis
I honestly don't know about earthworm babies vs. carnivorous plants; I wouldn't think so - they only feed on bacteria/fungus in the soil, fruit, and dead organic material in soil. They won't eat green leaves or munch on your roots.

If you're sure it's earthworms, someone else will have to answer who knows for certain. I've never tried to kill them so my best GUESS is below -

If it's fungus gnats (and this might work for earthworms and horsehair worms but I can't say), this stuff will handle it for sure.
If it's horse hair worms or earthworms, all I can say is it will "probably" kill them:
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Light-Organ ... 000GXQMQC/

I know insecticides can kill earthworms and horsehair worms, but neither are considered a "pest" so insecticides wouldn't be labeled specifically for them; you wouldn't find lady bugs or praying mantis on an insecticide label for example.
By Timmy
I wonder if those would be alright to feed a VFT?
By linton
If you are worried about what the worms might do to your plants and want to get rid of them, completely immerse the pot in water for 24 hours - this should either drown the worms, or make them rise to the surface and out of your compost.
By kittyklaws
Good luck! Hope you find out what they are/get rid of them!
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!