FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By lilim10
The VFT I'm going to buy is in a tiny, tiny pot, and I want to repot it. I already have the proper soil and everything, so my question is, should I dig a hole in the soil and put the VFT and the original soil it has in its tiny pot into the hole, or should I yank (gently) the VFT out of its original soil and just add it to the new soil? I was thinking it would be easier for the plant to adjust if some of its original soil came with it? Thanks.
By Matt
Good instructions can be found here: How to repot a Venus fly trap

There is no need to keep any of the original soil with your new VFT. It will adjust just fine without it. The best way to transplant a VFT is to gently remove it from its pot. If the pot is really small, as in your case, you might have to "massage" the sides of the pot to release the roots from the pot. Once you have all of the soil out of the pot, gently break it way from the rhizome without breaking or tearing the roots. Finally, dunk the entire plant in distilled water to remove any soil left on the roots that wouldn't come off with gentle prying.

Then, in the new pot with the new soil, make a hole with one of your fingers. Try to get the roots in the hole without making them fold or wrap up (so you need to try to make the hole as deep as the roots are long). Cover the rhizome completely with soil by pushing the soil in from the sides around it. You should be good to go then.

I too bought some VFTs that came in really small pots last year. I repotted them about this time. Their growth stalled for a week or so, then they started putting out new growth. They made it through the winter fine and came back strong this spring. I am sure that yours will do the same. Good luck with the repotting!
By WORMSS
That helped me alot :D but I wasn't going to repot til the dormancy had finished :D didn't wanna do too much to it too early :D

my question is ... does it need to be distilled water? That costs... Rain water is free :D

I have like 50 odd Gallons of Rain water, and that was just the rain during Summer, with it just about to enter autumn and winter, we are gonna get even more rain :D.. so its not like I will ever run out :D
By Matt
WORMSS wrote:That helped me alot :D but I wasn't going to repot til the dormancy had finished :D didn't wanna do too much to it too early :D
You'd be fine waiting until spring. You can do it now if you want to. It wouldn't matter much either way. It's probably a little better to wait until early spring time, but if you really want to repot it now, it will be fine.
WORMSS wrote:my question is ... does it need to be distilled water? That costs... Rain water is free
Rain water will work perfectly. Distilled water does cost, so if you are able to collect rain water, you should feel free to use it.
By lozone31
what is the deal with the rhizome i dont get what you do with it? So you break away the plant from it and then repot it with the other pot with the plant or take it out with the plant and just keep the whole plant apart? Or just chuck it completly?
By Adam
The rhizome is the bulb of the plant.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!