FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jester135
Update on pico:

Things are not looking good. i'm starting to think i have terrible luck at plants.. my vft is dying, can you actually overwater a vft? my wife thinks it's because of overwatering (i did have a tendency to leave it in a water tray for days.. can i still turn this around (although most leaves are dying i am seeing one small leaf sprouting in the middle?
Attachments:
pico04252023.jpg
pico04252023.jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 965 times
By BxndiTSold
That pot Looks extremely dry, Venus flytraps need to have moist soil at all times it looks like the plant dried out. How much water and what kinds of water are you giving it? It is possible that it could be from the stress of repotting if you just did that, another thing I see is your plant doesn’t seem to be covered by the medium all that much, what I mean is it looks like the rhizome(the center bulb part of the plant) is exposed from the looks of it, how much light is it getting, how many hours of light, Venus flytraps are very resilient and as long as the rhizome is still having some white on it, there’s a chance, step one, if that flytrap is indoors i wouldnt tray warwr it at all, i top water all my flytraps and wait till the substrate is moist to the touch just about and then water again, something good to do is learn the weight of your pot before watering and after, this way you know without sticking your hand in if your plant needs water! It looks like you have it planted i nLFSM which works great but lfsm retains moisture a lot better then most substrate so irs a lot easier to overwater, if outside, fill the tray, let it go empty, wait till the substrate is moist to the touch, then you can fill the tray again, you do have new growth i see so that is a good sign that it can make a recovery, the key questions are is it getting enough light and where is it, and the type of water it’s getting, try not to worry too much about it we have all messed up our first flytrap and yours is still alive!
Aqua521 liked this
By BxndiTSold
Also make sure you have the roots buried down keeo in the pot, and medium around them, like k said LFSM Iis like a a sponge so it’ll try to soak up most the water if it hadn’t already been wet,
By optique
I do great with flytraps but i cant tell you everything that works. I can tell you what works for me. My plants stay in 50/50 peat/perlite and i use water treys 1-3 inches deep depending on how large the pot is. I do not feed or fertilize my plants and they stay outside in full sun year round. It freezes where i live but the day time temps rise above freezing so my plants are fine.

Most new growers i read about having issues seem to really baby there plants feeding them, moving them around, re potting multiple times ect. Put your plants in a tall pot of proper media in full sun and water them, other then that leave them alone.
Intheswamp liked this
By Jester135
i used 50/50 peat/perlite on the pot and a top layer of lfsm on the top.. it's a little dry now coz for the past week it was on a small pot (roughly 2-3in pot) to which i transferred to a 6in pot but during that time period the plant was on a water tray 24/7 (for roughly around 1-2weeks) of distilled water
By Jester135
also as far as lighting foes it gets full sun from 10am-6pm and has been moved as an outside plant since the repotting (around 4 days ago)
By Jeanette56
It could experience die-off from repotting, and/or sun if it wasn’t used to it. Just like any other plant some experience more repotting shock that others. The green leaf in the center is an excellent sign! Your VFT will require patience on your part but it sounds like you’re doing all the right things, just never let it dry out. It doesn’t need a deep water tray as I’ve learned but it’s best not to let the tray remain dry for more than a few hours, especially if it’s outside. By way, these plants don’t do anything fast, so be patient. 💖
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!