FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By floridadancerguy
Does anyone have any Nepenthes seed. I'm looking to start some in TC
Thanks
By Matt
If you get your hands on some and have luck getting it to germinate, let me know. I've ordered seed from more than 8 different sources and I've yet to have a single Nepenthes seed germinate in vitro or ex vitro. I'm sure that it could be due to getting old seed, but it could also be exposing my ineptitude with Nepenthes seed.
By doku
Matt wrote:If you get your hands on some and have luck getting it to germinate, let me know. I've ordered seed from more than 8 different sources and I've yet to have a single Nepenthes seed germinate in vitro or ex vitro. I'm sure that it could be due to getting old seed, but it could also be exposing my ineptitude with Nepenthes seed.
I have bought ventricosa seeds from cascadecarnivores.com and they seem to have a good germinating rate. Around 70% on pure long fiber sphagnum.
By bombsboy
ive got like 15 n.madagascarensis seeds. ive had them for like a year already so i think they are dead :oops:
dont worry though, i got them for free :D
but i still feel stupid. i tried to germinate them but i failed. :twisted:
By Timmy
How do you TC seeds?
By ahicks51
Timmy wrote:How do you TC seeds?
Seeds are disinfected (chlorine bleach solution) for 10-25 minutes, washed in sterile distilled water, and placed on sterile plant tissue culture medium. After several weeks to several months, they germinate- provided they didn't get contaminated, and that the seeds are any good, and that the medium you use is a suitable one for them, and that they don't mysteriously die a week or two later for no apparent reason.

Then after a year or two, they're large enough to remove from sterile flask with a decent chance of survival. They don't grow good roots for me in sterile culture, so it's a little like rooting a cutting.
ahicks51 liked this
By roey benjamin marcus
So I would have to soak a seed in chlorine bleach?
By MichaelG
Yes, so they'd be sterile for the tissue culture. I'm pretty sure there are some other solutions, but I'd definitely go with Matt on this one.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!