FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By PlantMom84
Hello beautiful people! I have another question (seems like a trend lol 😅)
Is it possible to feed a flytrap too soon? Like after one first opens? Is it too soon to feed it?
By Barlapipas 6
The simple answer is no. The long answer is that there is a chance that if you feed a trap it might rot so feed the older ones because they won’t last as long as the new ones ( this is my personal opinion not something to take seriously )
By Intheswamp
In nature the flytrap can choose what it consumes...just whatever happens to walk across the leaf and trip the triggers. I haven't done a lot of feeding, but my understanding is to feed only food that is no larger than 1/3 the size of the trap and only feed a couple of traps at a time. Once a week or every couple of weeks should be plenty. And, I've seen it recommended to feed the same trap each time. So, as long as you're not overfeeding the plant it should be fine to feed a small, just opened trap but the plant would probably get more nutrition by feeding a larger trap (and thus a larger food item). Just my thoughts... :)
wcrosman liked this
By ChefDean
If the trap is open, the plant is open for business, and it can feed/you can feed it. The issue you'll find with feeding one that small is that it can be very easily be given too big of a meal, and it'll rot before being digested. Just let it catch its own food.
In my experience, just keep them outside, keep them moist, and they'll take care of themselves in regards to food. In the height of the season, my flytraps will be 80+% closed/digesting meals, even the little ones.
By PlantMom84
So, do the traps usually rot off after a big meal?
By ChefDean
It can, and you want to try to lessen the likelihood of mold getting to the plant. Don't mess with it, just meet its basic needs and the plant should take care of the rest.
By PlantMom84
Thanks guys. You're the best :D

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!