FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
My wife was headed to an appointment last week when something caught my eye as we were going by a local beaverpond a few miles south of the house. I only had a 24-70 zoom on my camera and these are certainly not postcard quality and being on a schedule I couldn't stop but for a couple of minutes. But, I did manage to get some "proof of existence" shots! :mrgreen: I *thought* I saw one of these fly over the end of the yard a while back into the pines behind the house but I wrote it off as probably hawk or owl being as I just got a brief flash of it through some trees. Anyhow, I'm sure it's no biggie for lots of y'all but this is a first for me here in my locale. ;)
Little Birdie
MikeB, ChelleB1005 liked this
By Intheswamp
Very cool, Panman!!! It's a thrill to see them when they're out of the norm. The only other one I've seen was a couple of years ago below Jordan Dam. I happened to look down the river and here it came, just about treetop high over the water. Besides its beauty, I was stunned by its sheer size, too. Very cool. The one in the pictures was smaller than the one that I saw at Lake Jordan but still a large bird! :D
By wcrosman
Lots of them here in Colorado. Several nesting pairs within a few miles of me. Always wonderful to see. I am 71 and saw my first one when I was about 27.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Cool! I think maybe they're just moving back into the area after a long, long absence. :D
By evenwind
We don't get much in the way of Eagles on Long Island - this is Giants country and we chase 'em back to Philly where they belong. But. We took a slow raft down the glacial runoff "river" in the Chilkat Eagle Preserve and must have seen over a hundred of them just perched in the trees, gossiping. And there were several close up that were just sitting on the sand bars and gave us a look that can be only described as disdain as we floated on by. It was kinda wonderful.
Last edited by evenwind on Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Oooh, a Ealges/Giant joke was bound to show up sooner or later! :lol:

That float trip must of been GREAT!!!!! Probably a surreal fantasy-type feeling as you watched all of them.

A look of "disdain"...I love it!!!!! :mrgreen:
By Carnies
The only time I've seen one was when me and my family took a trip to Alaska. We saw them in the wild and they are big and just really amazing because you feel so small in a world where there are so many other organisms than just you.
Intheswamp liked this
By MikeB
The last time I saw a bald eagle was during a tour of Cape Canaveral. As the bus drove down the access road, there was an eagle sitting next to the drainage canal just a stone's throw away. It didn't even stir as the bus went by ("Great, more tourists...").
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Mike, this one was similar to that in that it really didn't worry about us being near. I first spotted it flying as we approached the beaver pond. When I stopped the vehicle it landed on top of the dead tree. During the few minutes we were there it glanced our way a couple of times as if thinking "Oh boy, some more rubberneckers.". I got out of the vehicle and it flew down to the waters surface...it wasn't too concerned about us at all. It was definitely a treat. I'm thinking about going back early one morning with a little camo on and park the jeep further down the road and see if I can get some more shots of it. It was probably just passing through, though. Later that evening we rode back by and there were some dark colored ducks and a duckling out in the water so the eagle probably wasn't anywhere around then.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!