FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Oblivion
i cant seem to find an answer via search

im having trouble finding distilled water, all i can get is demineralised (everyone has it, but only demin' water)
would it be ok to use the Demin' water instead of the distilled? or at least until i find a place that actually stocks distilled?

this deminseralised water by "diggers australia" claims:
Description
Diggers Demineralised Water has been passed through a series of
chemical stages which extracts all impurities and produces purified water.

Typical uses
• Radiators
• Batteries
• Steam irons
Highly recommended for watering indoor and delicate plants because it
does not create a mineral build-up in the soil

Features
• The water is passed through a chemical process during which minerals
and salts are extracted
• Clear, colourless and odourless liquid
• Non-hazardous
By Veronis
You'd have to ask them how many ppm's (parts per million I think is what it stands for) it is - less than 100 is safe for flytraps; the lower the better. Some CP's need ppm's under around 50.

But you're going to probably pay out the nose for this stuff if ordering from the Internet - if it's local, I hope it's not expensive.

Distilled water, however, can be found CHEAP from just about any regular grocery store. Go to the biggest grocery stores in your area, and I'll bet they have it. Get the cheap store brand or the cheapest brand of it you can find. Distilled water is distilled water (sometimes they call it "all-purpose distilled" which doesn't mean anything special).

Good luck
By Oblivion
absolutely everywhere i can find the demineralised.

but the distilled is more of a challenge, i had one place tell me "good luck with that" LOL

all the local supermarkets and hardware stores, even nurseries, all sell demineralised and not distilled.

i found ONE brand of distilled in oz (glendalepackaging.com.au) but am awaiting a return email from them to tell me if/where any local stores are that sell it.
By linton
Demineralised water is fine to use - my generic brand from Coles Supermarkets measured 2 PPM - you'll find it in the laundry aisle. I Didn't realise that you were also living in Adelaide. If you have an interest in CP's you should join a club - the ACPS meets at Kensington on the 3rd Tuesday of every month. New members are always welcome.
By Oblivion
thanks for the info linton, i guess i can call off the search party for distilled water :)

could you hit me with a PM with some basic info on where abouts, time etc?
i'd love to come for a look and a chat. :mrgreen:
By Oblivion
I emailed Recochem, the makers of the "diggers australia" line of products (regarding their demineralised water)

i just got this reply, thought i'd quote it here so that anyone who uses the search for demineralised water can get a solid answer..
Thank you for your enquiry on the TDS for Demineralised Water. The upper Specification for TDS in Our Demin water is 10ppm as measured by conductivity
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!