FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ZackNJ
Hi everyone,

Since I am setting up a new terrarium, I decided to buy some more Helis lol. I should be getting my H. Hetrodoxa X Minor(Large),H. pulchella (Akopan Tepui, Venezuela, H. "foothills Testigos, and H. Huberi this Wed :)

I am attaching photos of the H. hetrodoxa X Minor and the H. Puchella(Akopan Tepuri, Venezuela). I will attach photos of the other 2 on Wednesday night
Enjoy :)

H. Hetrodoxa X Minor

H. pulchella (Akopan Tepui, Venezuela)
Last edited by ZackNJ on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ZackNJ
manzano167 wrote:wow what an over passed obsession! i think your in LOVE!
Its a hobby not an obsession. I plan on multiplying my Helis and sell/trade them in the future.
By ZackNJ
Matt wrote:Wow man! I'm envious of your Heli collection. Congrats on amassing such an awesome collection in such a short amount of time.

Thanks Matt!! I am envious of your VFT collection!!!!!! :)
By ZackNJ
manzano167 wrote:aww so your going to open a helimphora shop?
Not a shop really. Just on the side.
Maybe years from now I will open up a "shop". Its really more of a hobby for me. I am just fascinated by the Heliamphora's.
By Veronis
Congrats Zack. :) Love the Hetrodoxa x Minor. How big is the new terrarium?

Can you tell me or toss a link of how you care for your heli's (what your temps/humidity is, how you control temps/humidity, etc.)?
By ZackNJ
Veronis wrote:Congrats Zack. :) Love the Hetrodoxa x Minor. How big is the new terrarium?

Can you tell me or toss a link of how you care for your heli's (what your temps/humidity is, how you control temps/humidity, etc.)?

Sure I can tell you ;-)

My 1st tank is 36'' Long 18'' wide, and 18'' high. The tank is on a 5 tier rack that I bought from Lowes at a great price during the holiday season. I have distilled water on the bottom of the tank and plastic baskets and an egg crate(like Matt has) to raise it up from the water. For my second tank I am going to do what Matt did(Thanks a lot Matt for showing us how to do that :-) )
I have a 1/4 inch thick glass on top of the tank(which I had cut at a glass shop) I have a computer fan in the tank which is on a timer. The fan goes on/off every hour.
I have a 4- T5 Fl. light system which I have raised above the tank. I used cable ties and attached them to the rack above the tank.
I have a fogger which i don't think is necessary and I may not use one for my new tank. The temp. during the day is 75-83 degrees F and at night the temp is about 58-65 degrees F. The humidity is 80-90% most of the time. when the fan turns on the humidity goes down for a little while.
At night I put ice packs on top of the tank. I try and do that every night but sometimes I don't.
My Helis are doing quiet well and luckily I have not lost a single Heli. I hope it stays that way. If you have any other questions, I'd happy to help you in any way ;-)
By ZackNJ
I also forgot to mention that I bought rootshield and I applied it to all my Helis and all of my other CP"s
I also use an aquarium air pump.

My new tank is 36'' Long, 18'' Wide, and 25'' High. I am going to put all my big Helis in there. The smaller Helis are going to stay in the smaller tank for now.
Last edited by ZackNJ on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By 95slvrZ28
AGH! I'm so envious of your H. Hetrodoxa x minor!!!

Nice plants (lucky...jerk-face ;) )
By ZackNJ
95slvrZ28 wrote:AGH! I'm so envious of your H. Hetrodoxa x minor!!!

Im sorry. Maybe I shouldn't post anymore updates so that I don't make people sad/pissed off lol
Last edited by ZackNJ on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Lawndude84
how do you keep your humidity levels so high? my tank stays around 60% usually but I can't get it much higher than that without continual misting :?
By ZackNJ
Lawndude84 wrote:how do you keep your humidity levels so high? my tank stays around 60% usually but I can't get it much higher than that without continual misting :?

Are your plants in pots or planted directly in to the tank? What kind of cover do you have on the tank?
The air pump that I have in there helps keep the humidity high. You can buy one at Walmart.
By 95slvrZ28
ZackNJ wrote:
95slvrZ28 wrote:AGH! I'm so envious of your H. Hetrodoxa x minor!!!

Im sorry. Maybe I shouldn't post anymore updates so that I don't make people sad/pissed off.
The problem with that is we all like seeing th plants too much! You've got a great collection!
Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!