FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By carnivorous_noob
On my VFT, all of the traps are green on the inside. However, on the homepage it shows a picture of healthy venus fly traps with all the traps red on the inside. Do traps turn red the longer they are on the plant, or is it just some varieties. I bought my plant from terra greenhouse (greenhouse store in Ontario)
By ChefDean
It depends on what genes that particular plant is expressing.
Most VFT's will get some red on them, usually inside the traps. This could be anything from a slight blush to the entire plant turning purple. Then there are those that are expressing genes that do not include red genes, and the entire plant will stay green.
By TrapsAndDews
Usually, traps will turn red when they are getting enough light, it is winter, or it is a cultivar with red traps.

Can you show us a picture of your flytrap?
By VFTnPups
It depends on the cultivar, the amount of light they get, if they’ve eaten a lot, etc. There are some vft that will always stay green no matter how much light they get. It really just depends on several factors. I have a Louchapates I recently divided. They were growing in the same pot under the same conditions and the smaller division was much redder than the mother plant. I don’t know why, lol.
Attachments:
115B0370-4AF4-499C-B858-BBCCAFE4780B.jpeg
115B0370-4AF4-499C-B858-BBCCAFE4780B.jpeg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 1726 times
By TrapsAndDews
VFTnPups wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:42 pm It depends on the cultivar, the amount of light they get, if they’ve eaten a lot, etc. There are some vft that will always stay green no matter how much light they get. It really just depends on several factors. I have a Louchapates I recently divided. They were growing in the same pot under the same conditions and the smaller division was much redder than the mother plant. I don’t know why, lol.
If it's a typical flytrap, then it should have at least some red.
By VFTnPups
TrapsAndDews wrote: If it's a typical flytrap, then it should have at least some red.
No, typical just means it has no ID. I have all red typicals, all green typicals, and everything in between. You can find them unlabeled at nurseries and big box garden centers. They’ll have interesting characteristics, but without cultivar tags, they’re all typicals.
MikeB liked this
By carnivorous_noob
Thanks for all the feedback. My flytrap is most likely typical, and I do see some dots of red on the traps. Now, I am wondering how long it will take for more red dots to appear so the inside of the trap is fully red. Some of my traps have been on my plant for a while, but none are close to fully red yet. The most a trap has is probably 10-20 (and the dots are really small).

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!