FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I've got several of these old plastic planters I could use for some of my CPs, mostly sundews. They're only 4-1/2" deep, though. Would they work for a year or two to grow fiilformis-type sundews and capes in?
Attachments:
IMG_8127 (Custom).JPG
IMG_8127 (Custom).JPG (566.55 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
By Panman
That should be deep enough for the sundews. I have both capes and filiformis growing in 4 inch pots. I've got one that has been in there for 3 years and doesn't seem to mind.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
That sounds great, Panman. I'll go forward with my plans...first thing is to WASH those planters (two or three times)!!! ;) Second thing is to decide on a tray for them. I think I've got a couple of Sterilite containers that probably three of these long planters will sit in. Do sundews handle slightly more shallow containers than flytraps?

Thanks for the feedback! (as usual!!!! :) )
By Intheswamp
I checked the Sterilite containers and two of the long planters will fit in them with room for some small 3” pots possibly fitting in with them. I see a plan coming together! :D
By evenwind
I think the deepest planter I have for my (rosetted) sundews is under 4". They seem content enough - or at least they're not leaving bad Yelp reviews. I start most of my seeds in 2x2x2 pots and a lot of the subsequent sub-adults don't get moved until they are, well, sub-adults. It's not ideal but then, in nature, they grow where they're going to be thumped on by rabbits and peed on by muskrats.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Between the two of you you have convinced me I've been overthinking things for my sundews! That opens up lots of containers for planting. :mrgreen: The rabbits we got around here but the muskrats might be a problem...'reckon possum pee will work ok? I don't want bad Yelp reviews...they're killers!!! :lol:

Am I correct, though, in thinking that flytraps will do better in 6" or deeper pots? What about sarrs...??
By optique
I pick up planters of that same make and pattern and clean and paint them white. They look great and sell very well.

By Intheswamp
@optique, I had thought about painting them white. I've painted other containers that I've used for vegetables with some of the "for plastic" paints...it seems to work pretty well. I wonder how it does in constant contact with soggy/wet media, though? Do the trays that come attached to the planters work well in holding enough water to do the tray method for watering or do you need to top water regularly? The only holes in the planters I have are the ones the prongs on the trays stick into to hold the planter/tray assembly together. The four holes don't give a lot of drainage. Do you add any holes in the bottom?
By optique
I have not had much luck with paint under water, I paint my water tubs to UV proof the cheap plastic but under the water line flakes off over time.

I use the painted pots for normal house plants like in the photo.
Intheswamp liked this
By steve booth
They'd do for Darlingtonia too if you've got any spare. Fill with sphagnum, and water, and away they go, their root systems and stolons seem to like shallow containers. I grow hundreds in 4" trays, the pitcher's aren't as tall as plants in deep pots of Sphagnum, but they do grow and reproduce faster.
Cheers
Steve
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
optique wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:37 am I have not had much luck with paint under water, I paint my water tubs to UV proof the cheap plastic but under the water line flakes off over time.

I use the painted pots for normal house plants like in the photo.
Ok, I took it as you were planting CPs in the pots....the image wouldn't show up for me when I replied, but it does now...kinda. Paint under water has always been a bit of a issue for me, too. I recall painting an old plywood jon boat 50+ years ago. It was just some paint we found in my parents garage...don't know if it was exterior, interior, enamel, or fingerpaint....it was light blue, though. :lol: Whatever the case, that paint held tight for *years* on that old boat. Probably 50% lead or something. 8-)

Anyhow, I guess I'll just scrub the planters good and let'em have the "distressed" look. :mrgreen:
By Intheswamp
steve booth wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:15 am They'd do for Darlingtonia too if you've got any spare. Fill with sphagnum, and water, and away they go, their root systems and stolons seem to like shallow containers. I grow hundreds in 4" trays, the pitcher's aren't as tall as plants in deep pots of Sphagnum, but they do grow and reproduce faster.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Cobra plants are cool so one day I hope to grow some. I think that I've been stressing too much over trying to get containers at least 6" deep for everything, but it looks like I've been wrong and "everything" doesn't require that deep of a pot. That's good news. ;)
Camden liked this

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!