FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By sans
Ive been thinking of using rainwater collected from my roof, so im guessing thats okay? my roof is made with shingles
By Intheswamp
sans wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:51 pm Ive been thinking of using rainwater collected from my roof, so im guessing thats okay? my roof is made with shingles
It might be ok. Different people have had different results. Different types of shingles produce different results. Let the first bit of water go to waste as it will have bird poop, windblown debris, asphalt oils, etc., in it. After a rinse period then start collecting. TDS meters are cheap and very handy tools to have on hand, especially if you're going to stick with carnivorous plants for any length of time. There are some experienced users on here that store and use rain water from their asphalt roofs...but, their roof isn't your roof. Your's is probably ok, but I would want to test its TDS. ;)
By Andrew42x89
Source:
Drexel Hill, PA, USA
Aqua America Pennsylvania, Southeastern Division Service Area, Delaware County

Date:
1/29/2023

Measurement:
185 ppm @ 68°F

Meter:
Hofun
https://www.amazon.com/Hofun-Water-TDS- ... B0BJD9ZNJM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Intheswamp
I just received the 2022 annual water quality report from my rural water supplier. They have numerous wells scattered out and show TDS ranging from 176ppm to 446ppm. The area is roughly 25-60 miles south of Montgomery, AL, and sits over several limestone aquifers. I just tested my tap water with my trusty $15 meter and it's showing 336ppm.

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!