FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Gil
So, I had to try feeding Herbert a bug. I know he doesn't need to, but I'm experimenting a little. ;c

I caught him a ladybug and let it run around for a bit, but, seeing as the thing went every which way, I Googled a guide for feeding insects to your VFT. In the process of getting the poor bug into the tweezers, I scared it so much that I either killed it or it just won't move. So, I wiggled the thing around over the trigger hairs, and...nothing. :0

Am I just doing it wrong? Is Herbert just not up to eating? Should I give up? Was it a stupid thing to try in the first place? Is a ladybug too small?
By kittyklaws
did it touch the trigger hairs inside the trap?
By Gil
kittyklaws wrote:did it touch the trigger hairs inside the trap?
I believe so. I found little hairs sticking up from one side of the lobe and moved the bug across them several times.
By 95slvrZ28
Is it an older trap? Sometimes they stop working as they get older, or if they've been triggered too much in the past.
By Gil
I wouldn't THINK that he's so old, probably just a few months, but I only just bought him. He's a small dude, though.

To be fair, I only rubbed it on the trigger hairs of one lobe...do I need to get it on both? :0
By Matt
It's not at all uncommon for newly purchased plants to have unresponsive traps. This is due to a number of reasons including the fact that the traps have probably been tripped too many times already either in transit or by curious customers in the store.

Wait for your plant to get settled in and put out new growth. If the traps still don't work, then you should start worrying. ;)
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!