FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

News, sales and Announcements about the FlytrapStore

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Unnamed, all red Venus fly traps grown from seed will be available starting tomorrow (Monday February 8th). Here's the description of the product:
The <b>Venus Flytrap</b> is such a unique and strange plant that if it were not already commonly known, people would probably find it difficult to believe that it exists. Although there is only a single species of Venus Flytrap (<i>Dionaea muscipula</i>), a lot of variation of color, growth habit and detail of form exists within the species. A "typical" Venus Flytrap can display any of these great number of variations, and in that respect is not typical at all: the designation is only to distinguish these Venus Flytraps, as diverse as those that grow from seed in their own natural habitat, from the genetically identical named clones that are propagated by means of sterile tissue culture or vegetative division.

Red-leafed Venus Flytraps, unlike the more common green varieties, tend to prefer more light and may grow a little more slowly than other Venus Flytraps if not given that extra light. Red-leafed Venus Flytraps, containing a substantial amount of anthocyanin (natural red dye) in the leaves, are much rarer than green-leafed plants. The designation "Typical" simply means a Venus Flytrap that is not a named clone, and unlike clones, typicals display a wide genetic diversity and variations of shape, color and growth habit like the Venus Flytraps growing wild in their native environment.

Because"typical" Venus flytraps can have such diversity, it's hard to give an accurate description of what the plant you receive will look like. However, like most Venus Flytraps whether named or not, they will usually develop pink or red - sometimes very deeply red - traps if given good lighting.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!