FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
One of my dormant VFTs seems to be putting on new traps. It's living in a 45-50 °F garage with dim lighting. If it is really breaking dormancy, is there anything I could/should do to slow it down? I know these guys run on their own timers, so maybe it's just an early riser. It was the first to go into dormancy back in early October.
By steve booth
As you quite rightly say, they all differ slightly in their responses to light and temperatures, if this one is starting to grow without any artificial stimulus, then it is happy to do so. I wouldn't worry about slowing it down, unless you are expecting a protracted cold spell, but that in itself will slow it down, so it is self-regulating to a large extent. The light is normally the greater growing cue, so if your lighting is dim already there's not a lot more you need to do.
Cheers
Steve
Gary liked this
By Intheswamp
Interesting that the Gary brought this up yesterday being as I noted yesterday that my D. tracyi plants appear to be breaking dormancy. I've had them in a dark area (not total darkness) sitting on top of a refrigerator with only low ambient window light lighting the room (very dim). The temperature has been between the 40f's and 60f's. When I looked yesterday I saw small 1/4" fingers uncurling from around the hibernacula. I moved the plants to the side of my growlights...did I do right...or mess up?
By Gary
steve booth wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:38 am As you quite rightly say, they all differ slightly in their responses to light and temperatures, if this one is starting to grow without any artificial stimulus, then it is happy to do so. I wouldn't worry about slowing it down, unless you are expecting a protracted cold spell, but that in itself will slow it down, so it is self-regulating to a large extent. The light is normally the greater growing cue, so if your lighting is dim already there's not a lot more you need to do.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks, Steve!
Here in central AZ, we usually get the heaviest snowfall in early February and going into March. It will definitely get quite a bit colder when the storms come through. I hadn't planned on doing the repotting of the Sarrs and VFTs until the weather warmed up. Looks like that one flytrap has other ideas. I'll keep an eye on the others and see if they start to break dormancy.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!