FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
There was some good lighting in Ashland today, so I snapped a few photos of the new clone that will be "hitting the shelves" of the FlytrapStore very soon, possibly as soon as this weekend. It is very similar in appearance to 'Bohemian Garnet', but I believe that it gets a bit larger, though I've only had it out of tissue culture for a couple of months so far, so I can't yet say how large it will get.

We're tentatively calling it Dionaea "FTS Red Sawtooth". If anyone has a better name for the plant, I'm all ears. I asked my wife Leah for suggestions and her chosen name was Dionaea "Eclipse". Her explanation for the name was that the teeth look like little vampire fangs (tying it to the twilight saga about vampires) and that it's so dark maroon ("dark") that it looks like it's under a full solar eclipse.
By hackerberry
Wooowwww!!!! Amazing man! How about call it FTS Sawtooth "Giant Red". Looks amazing man! I like one!

hb
By Matt
Thanks Jun! I really like the plant. It's my favorite one that I've raised from seed so far. I like the name suggestion too. I'm not sure how "Giant" the plant will be yet, but time will tell. So far it appears to be a bit smaller in stature than some of the other red plants.
By Steve_D
I'm also growing some of these TC clones of Matt's at "Flytrap Store South" in New Mexico, but mine are a little behind Matt's in growth and won't be available for sale until a little later in the season. Very nice-looking Flytraps so far, healthy and growing well.

Regarding naming, with the evocative blood and vampire references, we could always go with a movie homage:

Dionaea "FTS Blood Feast!" (well, without the exclamation point). :D

GREAT photos Matt! :)

Steve
By Veronis
I want one. No, two. :shock:

Dionaea "Zombie Teeth" ;) I'd post the photo that supports this but it's scary.
Last edited by Veronis on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By vtrap
how much would one of thoughs usualy run someone?
By laidback
How about Crimson Sawtooth? Same thing, sounds a bit cooler in my opinion. Anyways, that's a crazy awesome plant! I can't wait until it arrives at the flytrapstore.
By laidback
That gives me ideas-
Crimson Deathtrap
Crimson Jaws
Crimson Zombietooth
Joe
Red Zombietooth
By Steve_D
laidback wrote:That gives me ideas-
Crimson Deathtrap
Crimson Jaws
Crimson Zombietooth
Joe
Red Zombietooth

All of those are good! I really like Dionaea "FTS Joe." :mrgreen: That opens a whole new naming territory: Dionaea FTS Hildegard, FTS Gertrude, FTS Mortimer, FTS Ivan the Terrible, FTS Prince Dracul, etc.

However, I think we may have decided to tentatively go with "FTS Crimson Sawtooth" for now, unless Matt takes a particular liking to one of the other names suggested in this discussion thread. I like all of them so far, and "Crimson Jaws" and "Red Zombietooth" both have a nice ring to them. :)
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!